7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2010 12:27 PM by Andy McBride

    Trying to move SQL DB 2008 to stand-a-lone Server


      I am trying to isolate my Sql Database now on to it's own server, seperate from the server I am currently running both Orion NPM SLX and the DB.  It was fine for years, but now that I am well over 2000 nodes/instances, the DB is using 1.5GB of Memory out of 3GB total.  Not that it's a problem, but it certainly will become one as time goes on and I add more nodes for Monitoring.

      I have run the gauntlet on help files here, and used the Solarwinds Technical Reference Documet for Moving your orion NPM Database.  The Backup/Import worked great.  From my Orion Server, I can run the Setup Wizard, select Database, Connect to the new Server runing my migrated SQL DB using the sa/password to connect no problem.  I then select to "create a new user" as recommended in the guide and when the wizard gets to the point where it displays it's "updating Custom Properties" I was originally seeing the following error in the Solarwinds Event Viewer.


      On the server itself I see a pop-up message stating:


      Database error: Cannot connect to SWNetPerMon database

      Provider = SQLOLEDB.1;User ID='NetPerfMonAdmin';Password='********';Persist Security Info=False; Initial Catalog=NetPerfMon;Data Source=192.168.x.x\SQLEXPRESS;Use Procedure for Prepare=1;Auto Translate=True;Packet Size=4096;Workstation ID=SolarWinds;Use Encryption for Data=False;Tag with column collation when possible=False

      Erro=[DBNETLIB]ConnectionOpen (Connect()),]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

      HUH? LOL, If I log on to the DB no problem, how come now it can't find the server.

      I've tried to open up all the permissions on the new account created called NetPerfMonAdmin by selection all possible selections under the Grant Tabs from with SQL Server Manager...doesn't help.

      If someone could help get this DB Configured, I would be very greatful. For now, I have reconnected to the DB running on the same box as my ORION NPM.

      Initially I could not even connect to the DB on the new server, but found an article that said to make changes to the DB properties. The Event Viewer Log I was getting showed:

      Service was unable to open new database connection when requested.
      Exception A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)
      Connection string - Data Source=sysmon1\SQLEXPRESS;Initial Catalog=NetPerfMon;User ID=NetPerfMonAdmin;Password=*******;Connect Timeout=20;Load Balance Timeout=120;Application Name=SolarWinds.ConfigurationWizard.Host;Workstation ID=TTAC-ORION

      For more information, see Help and Support Center at

      So I went into the Database properties, Connections, enable TCP/IP and did the required changes under the IP Address Tab to allow port 1443 and the IP of the Server. Which as stated above, allows me now to connect to the DB on the new server.