This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Trying to move SQL DB 2008 to stand-a-lone Server

I am trying to isolate my Sql Database now on to it's own server, seperate from the server I am currently running both Orion NPM SLX and the DB.  It was fine for years, but now that I am well over 2000 nodes/instances, the DB is using 1.5GB of Memory out of 3GB total.  Not that it's a problem, but it certainly will become one as time goes on and I add more nodes for Monitoring.

I have run the gauntlet on help files here, and used the Solarwinds Technical Reference Documet for Moving your orion NPM Database.  The Backup/Import worked great.  From my Orion Server, I can run the Setup Wizard, select Database, Connect to the new Server runing my migrated SQL DB using the sa/password to connect no problem.  I then select to "create a new user" as recommended in the guide and when the wizard gets to the point where it displays it's "updating Custom Properties" I was originally seeing the following error in the Solarwinds Event Viewer.

On the server itself I see a pop-up message stating:

CustomePropertyEditor

Database error: Cannot connect to SWNetPerMon database

Provider = SQLOLEDB.1;User ID='NetPerfMonAdmin';Password='********';Persist Security Info=False; Initial Catalog=NetPerfMon;Data Source=192.168.x.x\SQLEXPRESS;Use Procedure for Prepare=1;Auto Translate=True;Packet Size=4096;Workstation ID=SolarWinds;Use Encryption for Data=False;Tag with column collation when possible=False

Erro=[DBNETLIB]ConnectionOpen (Connect()),]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

HUH? LOL, If I log on to the DB no problem, how come now it can't find the server.

I've tried to open up all the permissions on the new account created called NetPerfMonAdmin by selection all possible selections under the Grant Tabs from with SQL Server Manager...doesn't help.

If someone could help get this DB Configured, I would be very greatful. For now, I have reconnected to the DB running on the same box as my ORION NPM.

Initially I could not even connect to the DB on the new server, but found an article that said to make changes to the DB properties. The Event Viewer Log I was getting showed:

Service was unable to open new database connection when requested.
Exception A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)
Connection string - Data Source=sysmon1\SQLEXPRESS;Initial Catalog=NetPerfMon;User ID=NetPerfMonAdmin;Password=*******;Connect Timeout=20;Load Balance Timeout=120;Application Name=SolarWinds.ConfigurationWizard.Host;Workstation ID=TTAC-ORION

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

So I went into the Database properties, Connections, enable TCP/IP and did the required changes under the IP Address Tab to allow port 1443 and the IP of the Server. Which as stated above, allows me now to connect to the DB on the new server.

Cheers

• Just to make sure - is it all up and running for you now?

• I have the DB and Orion NPM running on the same server for now so I can continue monitoring and getting traps, but I want to offload the DB on to a different server. Let's call it "dbserv"

The issue I am having is trying to connect to the DB when it's running on the new server.  I did the backup/restore migration,  I can connect to "dbserv" using the SQL Server Management Studio from my OrionServ no problem.  I can see the DB called NetPerfMon, and all the tables so the access is there.

But when I run the Configuration Wizard on OrionServ, add the credentials (whether is Windows Auth, or SQL Auth both work fine) and begin the wizard, it throws up that error mentioned above when it starts to do it's thing with the CustomPropertyEditor table. I can't get past that error. If I click on ok, the rest of the wizard process just sits there idle until I manually kill the process.

I believe I have all the connectivity in place, but the Wizard doesn't like something which appears to point at the permissions based on the error message?

• Please open a ticket for this one.

• Done.

Case #209495

Thanks Mcbridea.

• Dagwood--

Would you mind posting what support tells you here for the benefit of the community?

Thanks,

M

• You bet :-)

With the help of Jaime at SW Support, she narrowed things down to it being a problem resolving the DB instance.

The Wizard and Server Management Studio would connect up no problem at all when I simply put the server name as 192.x.x.x or Hostname using the sa/password credentials and/or just the Windows Auth Username/Password

However the Wizard tries to connect to the <servername>\<instance> of the database when it starts to do it's configuration changes.

ie: <servername>\SQLEXPRESS

After some poking around, Jaime decided to go into the Services of the Server, and manually start the SQL Server Browser.  Well that did it and the Orion Wizard ran it's course.  We proved this to be the issue by doing the same in reverse by using SQL Management Studio on the new server to connect to the Old Server/DB. Until we started the SQL Server Browser service, we couldn't connect.

Jaime said she'll update the SW Technical Reference to ensure people doing migrations in the future will include this one step.

Cheers All

Great Forum, Wickid Fast Support from SW...

Another Happy Customer since 2000

• Good deal -  I'll pass the kudos along to Jamie!