6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2014 9:29 AM by marunderwood

How can I set or change the thresholds for each node?

I would like to know how to set or change the thresholds for each node. How can I set up different values for each node?

Thanks in advance

• Re: How can I set or change the thresholds for each node?
          ZZamazal

Hi, bruno

You can set custom values for Node Status Polling and Statistics collection for each node, if that is what You mean...

In webconsole just click a node you wish to customize, on Details page of the node click Edit Node (in Node Details resource) and here you can edit properties of the node.

Z.

wbrown

To do this you would have to add custom properties to the object type (node, volume, or interface) that you want to have custom values for.  You then create an alert that checks the value of the added property.

Custom properties are added through the Custom Property Editor application on the server.

I have tried it, but I had problem. Is there in custom Property  information about CPU usage, memory usage, disk usage?

If it works, on the node I use it will use just the threshould I set, or it would use also default thresholds?

Thanks

wbrown

There is a custom property if you make one.

For example, I added 2 properties to all my nodes:  NodeCpuWarn, and NodeCpuCrit.
                    These are nothing more than just numeric fields that I enter values into - they have no relationship to any particular property other than being values associated with Nodes.
                    The magic is when you create an alert that references those fields.

In my case I created an alert that compared the current CPU utilization and the values in my NodeCpuWarn field.  If the CPU utilization exceeds the value in my field, then the alert is triggered.
                    I created a second alert that compares the CPU utilization to my NodeCpuCrit field.

You can also reference other custom properties such as the City, Comments, and Departments fields.
                    To expand on my example above, I really have multiple alerts for each of the CPU thresholds.
                    One alert checks for a specific value in the Department field, such as "Intel", in addition to checking the CPU against the NodeCpuWarn value, and has an alert action that sends a message to one of the server teams.
                    Another alert checks for the value "MidRange" in the Department field, compares the CPU against the NodeCpuWarn value, and has an action that sends a message to a different server team.

This does not override the default thresholds.  So just don't enable any alerts that reference the default thresholds.

I'm not the first person to do this, nor did I come up with it.  If you look around in the forums you may find better examples.

Before you ask: no, I don't know how to change the color of the node on the maps when my alerts trigger.  If anyone else does, please let us know.