This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

LWAP Status Indicators for Maps

In the past I've monitored autonomous AP's by putting an indicator LED from Network Atlas on a map since each AP was monitored separately. I'm now using WLC's at several locations and monitoring them through SNMP. The individual AP's are no longer monitored through SNMP.

In the web console, I am able to see the status of each AP on the web page for the WLC controller so it seems like Solarwinds is polling the WLC for the status of each AP. I'd like to continue to have device indicator LED's for each AP, but I'm not able to find a way to represent each LWAP connected to a WLC on a map with Network Atlas even though Solarwinds seems to have the status of each AP based on what I can see in the web console page for the WLC.

The LWAP's do not have static IP addresses for each AP so monitoring each AP by ICMP would not work.

It would be nice to have each AP show up as a connected sub-device on the WLC in Network Atlas similar to how monitored interfaces show up as sub-interfaces for a router or switch and can be dragged onto a map as an LED indicator.

Thanks for any consideration.

• Since they do have an IP, which it sounds like they are dynamic, you can add the thin ap's as ICMP Dynamic nodes

• I’ve added necessary devices as a dynamic ICMP device. I see this as a temporary solution however and I hope Solarwinds will provide a more efficient way of putting status LED’s on maps other than adding several hundred ICMP devices for polling which generates unnecessary server usage and network traffic. I still think a status LED should be available sort of like a sub-interface on a router...a sub-interface/device on a WLC.

• We can for sure look at this but the main reason this works like it does today is you can add a controller to Orion and we monitor the thin AP's and all the connected clients and you only get charged a license to monitor the controller.  We don't charge a license for the thin ap's and clients unless you add the thin ap as an ICMP only node.