5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2010 1:56 PM by Steve Welsh

CatTools service stopped

lls71

Hi!

Today the CatTools service stopped working. I searched through the InfoLog.txt and found the following entries:

2010-11-29 00:33:52 1-Error 0 Kiwi CatTools Service *** INTERNAL PROGRAM ERROR - Please contact support via http://www.kiwisyslog.com/support ***
      2010-11-29 00:33:52 1-Error 0 Kiwi CatTools Service Service Version 3.5.0 | Error Number: 14 | Description: Out of string space | Module Name: CatToolsFields.frm | Procedure Name: CreateHTMLReport | Line Number: 860 | Date and time: 29.11.2010 00:33:52

Did anybody experience the same error with version 3.5.0?

Regards, Leonardo

• Re: CatTools service stopped
          Steve Welsh

Hi Leonardo,

Which CatTools activity was running at the time?

Regards,

Steve

lls71

An "Error info table" Report which includes 92 devices. It worked till last week. Jeff Nagle of Technical Support is working on the issue. He told me to split the report into several smaller reports.

Steve Welsh

It's basically a system resources issue due to the method of report generation within CatTools.

The larger the reports, the more likely you run into issues (especially when you don't have the 'Overwrite existing report file' option selected for the reporting activities).

It's one of the CatTools limitations as CatTools does not utilize its database for storing captured device data for reporting purposes.  Reports are all stored as files on the filesystem, which (if the 'Overwrite existing report file' option is not selected) are appended to with the current report data.

The options therefore are:

1) try use the 'Overwrite existing report file' option if possible to keep the file size down.  If you have a %DateISO% filename variable in the CatTools report filename, you will get a new file on disk with each run of the activity, so then you can always consolidate the report text files manually if you need to later.

2) reduce the number of devices per activity (as Jeff has suggested).  This will reduce the amount of report data, for each activity.

3) increase system resources (seems obvious, but not always an option in most peoples cases)

4) consider NCM as an alternative?   NCM is a more high-end product and utilizes its SQL database to store device data for reporting, etc., so is much better at handling the larger reports.  It may be worth downloading the NCM Eval version to a test system to see what it can do for you?

Kind regards,

Steve

lls71

1) All reports I have defined in CatTools have the "Overwrite existing report file" checkbox enabled. So the report is deleted before the new report is created.

2) I hope there is another possibility... But I will create four smaller reports. The failing report gets error counters from all our switches in the company headquarters. We have four buildings, so I will create one report per building.

3) The server has a Xeon@3GHz processor + 2GB RAM (using only 500MB). I think it should be enough for CatTools. Do you agree? No other software runs on this server.

4) CatTools does the job for us, but I checked for NCM on the Solarwinds website. The license for us would cost $7,495, CatTools costs $750 a year. Just give me a second to think if would like to upgrade to NCM... 1 sec... -> NO THANKS! :-)

Regards, Leonardo

Steve Welsh

:o)    No worries Leonardo.  

Looks like Option 2 is going to be the best path for you to go down.  I'll leave you in the capable hands of Jeff to report back to him whether the splitting of the error report into multiple activities resolves the problem for you.

Normally when you get the 'Out of string space' error though, it is best to restart the system, so you may want to do this too at some point.

Regards,

Steve