6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2010 5:05 PM by Questionario

New VMware features?

damien.solodow

So I just upgraded to APM 4.0 RC and the "whats new" mentions new ESX/vSphere monitoring capabilities.

However, I don't see any templates listed as "new in 4.0" so I'm guessing I'm just missing something blatantly obvious..

• Re: New VMware features?
          jiri.tomek

Hello Damien,
          VMware features are not part of APM "applications" infrastructure. They are separate feature independent on APM. If you ad node, you can check "Poll for VMware" and if that node is for example vCenter, you get whole vCenter information including ESXs and VMs. You can also use Network Discovery and add VMware credentials there so your VMware nodes are discovered automatically.

byrona

Hello Damien,
              VMware features are not part of APM "applications" infrastructure. They are separate feature independent on APM. If you ad node, you can check "Poll for VMware" and if that node is for example vCenter, you get whole vCenter information including ESXs and VMs. You can also use Network Discovery and add VMware credentials there so your VMware nodes are discovered automatically.

I was told by the SolarWinds product managers that APM would add additional support for VMWare.  Is this not the case? 

Also, it is stated in the "whats new for APM" that additional VMWare support will be added.

RogerWong

As far as the question "Do I get new, yummy VMware monitoring stuff with the next version of Orion APM", the answer is yes.

What Jiri is saying is that it's not just Orion APM that gets it. You also  get the same yummy VMware monitoring stuff with the new version of Orion NPM. Click the Virtualization tab on the demo server:  http://oriondemo.solarwinds.com/Orion/SummaryView.aspx

byrona

As far as the question "Do I get new, yummy VMware monitoring stuff with the next version of Orion APM", the answer is yes.

What Jiri is saying is that it's not just Orion APM that gets it. You also  get the same yummy VMware monitoring stuff with the new version of Orion NPM. Click the Virtualization tab on the demo server:  http://oriondemo.solarwinds.com/Orion/SummaryView.aspx

Ah, that makes me feel much better.  My apologies for the misunderstanding.

macnugetz

Let me clarify.  The new Virtualization tab is functionality available in both NPM and APM.  In addition, with the release of 4.0 we'll be adding a new VMware component monitor type.  This will give you the ability to build application monitors for performance statistics that are available via the VMware API.  This new component monitor isn't available yet, but will be in a later version of the RC that we hope to release in the coming weeks.  Stay tuned!

-Craig

Questionario

sounds great,would love to see the ability to alert/monitor on vcenter alerts/stats to get rid of internal alerting mechanisms and move them to orion =)

seems like it will still take a few weeks until GA :(

dont get me wrong though, I rather wait longer and dont have as many problems with it :P