This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

10.1 - what customers are saying...

For folks who didn't get a chance to participate in the 10.1 Release Candidate program, I wanted to share some of the quotes from RC customers who were kind enough to tell us what they thought.

We'd love to know what you think as well.   How did your upgrade go?  What's your favorite new feature?

==========================

"Upgrade went off without a hitch, nice job. AD integration very nice.  Dependencies are very easy to set-up"

S. Snyder

Network Engineer

"Dude, the dependency thing is a god send!  The best feature yet.  You have no idea.  I manage 34 sites in a grocery store chain and every time a stores data line goes down I get 20-100 alerts.  This is awesome."

S. Winters

IT Infrastructure Manager 

"So far, I like that the VIM stuff that has been included." 

G. Sample

"The Groups and AD Group Management looks to be awesome as is the new discovery connections and dependencies."

K. Sparenberg

"Upgrade went well thanks. I like the virtualisation summary page"

S. Brown

"Far and above the nicest thing is the AD integration.  It will be much easier to manage users and groups of users this way, and so far it is working flawlessly.  Since %70 of our server environment is VMware any added features in this regard is very welcome."

D. Straley

"Love: 

Export to PDF! 

Dependencies/Groups....very nice..will have to play with this 

AD Group Auth!!!!!!!  Have waited years for this..thank you. 

Message Center....never thought of combining all those areas but makes interface much easier to find correlated events". 

B. Duvall

"Home Tab:

I like the new message center and custom summary

Network Tab:

VSAN is awesome!

Loving the new Virtualization tab"

K. Pilgram

• The upgrade from 10.0 to 10.1 sucked. I had to get support to remote in 3 times to get it working and still don't not have working advanced alerts. SW says it is a known problem and has a fix but i have yet to get them to remote in and fix it. I am very unhappy with 10.1 so far. if it was not even more of a nightmare to roll back to 10.0, i would in a heartbeat. I would rate my experience so far as a 1 out of 100. very poor.

• My upgrade went just fine.  Being able to combine multiple interfaces on one chart is nice, but that feature needs to be able to have both TX/RX on the same chart or group them together as a combined bandwidth usage. 

I also am still looking for a "virtual object" that can be assigned SNMP "location" so that I can represent a "logical" object, as the combined traffic over multiple devices / interfaces.  An example of this type of traffic would be EMC's SRDF or HDS's USPV replication.

• This customer isn't saying any of those things!  I can't even seem to upgrade to 10, let alone 10.1!

• The upgrade to 10.0 went so smoothly that I jumped on the chance to upgrade to 10.1. BIG MISTAKE.

That was November 24 around noon. I struggled with it until about 10:30 that night just to get it working, and it was painfully slow. The 4 cores are pegged out around 100%. A few days after the holidays, it became entirely unusable. I'm now in the second week with an open (urgent) trouble ticket, and no end is in sight.

In the middle of all of this, the SolarWinds Sales team added insult to injury by trying to rush me into maintenance renewals. Big mistake.  

The lack of negative comments makes me believe that my situation with 10.1 is rare, but I must still urge users show EXTREME CAUTION when upgrading. Back up the database. Make snapshots of all of your SolarWinds servers. If you bring your lunch to work, bring your dinner too. I've lost credibility. My historical data is ruined. My technicians are missing a valuable diagnostics tool. And I may lose my job.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to david.templeton

david, i had the same experience as you

i have a call open with solarwinds about it even now about the performance issues

I have a thread running on here about missing polls ever since the upgrade

I fear now that for some reason, the antivirus software appears to be wholly incompatible with the 10.1 when real time scan is enabled, even if there are exclusions for ALL solarwinds installation files and directories

not sure SW have done to the implementation but it is a disaster...  it reminds me of 9.1 i think, before the emergency service pack was released...  i am hoping we get an emergency service pack for this one too as for me it is a totaly disaster

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to david.templeton

Trend Officescan mate

• This is a known problem. I will be testing a fix for the slow polls today with SW. But i am on 10.1.1. I will let you know how it goes.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to r0berth1

urgh?  support just told me to fix a few pwermissions problems, and then shrink my DB transaction logs..  both of which are highly unliklely to do anything with polling delays...