5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2010 6:53 PM by Steve Welsh

F5 backup error

Hi,

I am trying to backup F5 Big IP using kiwi cat tools. However i get error in Kiwi Cat tool as unexpected response for command b list.

Attached is the debug mode capture file.

I feel that script is waiting for prompt > however if we give list command in F5 it list configuration one page at a time and you have to press space bar many times until u reach end of config.

However need help fixing this.

• Re: F5 backup error
          Steve Welsh

Hi,

The F5BigIp paging prompt that CatTools looks for is "--More--".  This is not what is being returned from your device looking at the debug log you provided.

The debuglog is showing me that an VT100 escape sequence is occuring then the following: /var/tmp/shell.out.ajzosQ

At this point, the device then just stops returning data.

Do you have some form of system message logging enabled on this device maybe?

Steve

No logging is there. 

i check on the device by manually giving command list. 

self 1xx.xx.xx.xx {

netmask 255.255.255.192

unit 1

floating enable

vlan Misc_Apps_Ext

allow default

}

self xx.xx.xx.xx {

netmask 255.255.255.192

unit 1

floating enable

vlan Exchange_Int

allow default

}

self 1xx.xx.xx.xx {

netmask 255.255.255.192

unit 1

floating enable

vlan Data_Srvs_Int

allow default

}

self 1xx.xx.xx.xx {

netmask 255.255.255.0

/var/tmp/shell.out.F7WcJ9

At this point i have to press space to get more data.
              Then at end of second page is : where again i have to press space bar to get more data and so on.

Steve Welsh

This is very non-standard paging behaviour.

As I mentioned before, you'd normally see a paging prompt like --More-- to indicate that you need to do something to display the next page; however if you are not seeing this, then it will be near impossible to get CatTools to work with this device unless there is a way of disabling the output paging (like the 'terminal length 0' command on Cisco IOS).

Steve

Thanks Steve for your efforts. Good news is i managed to get it work. Problem was of shell the user account was using. We had created another user for backup and somehow it was left with bigpipe shell. When we changed to the advanced shell it works.

However i have one more querry. 

Can i use cat tools for backing up configs of Sonicwall Aventail EX2500 SSL vpn device as well?

Steve Welsh

Sonicwall aren't supported out-the-box by CatTools at present.  

You may want to have a look at this thwack thread: Has anyone ever used it for "Sonicwall Firewalls" ? and more specifically the posting by scott.wilson.musco who has managed to get this working with his own custom scripts (which Scott has attached in further postings).  You'll need to install your own ftp server though as CatTools does not ship with one.

Please note: Custom scripting was added to CatTools v3.3.1, so you'd need to be running at least this version, otherwise you may well see errors that Digitaldesigndj was encountering:  Client Script error: Object doesn't support this property or method: cl.Initialise on line: ...

Regards,

Steve