This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NPM and Alert Manager - How many alerts is too many?

I'll keep this simple and elaborate if necessary. 

We have a lot of devices and servers. Each needing specific alert thresholds based on what they do. Management wanted to break the "catch all" Alerts into specific alerts for specific systems based on problems we have with those systems beginning at certain thresholds.

Making a ton of alerts to watch for specific events should be easy enough, but I want to understand the impact of having so many. i want to understand exactly what happens with the service when you add a new alert. 

How many alerts do you have?

Can NPM Alerting handle thousands of alerts (ambiguous... I know)?

Do I run a risk in missing triggers if it lags too far behind?

~R

• We only have 300 plus alerts - and these are all over the spectrum too. Weird hours, Mountain and Central and Eastern among APM processes with weird thresholds, etc.

And Orion alert-notifications spin like a top - no false positives. It's probably a result of a good product and not my alert design. :)

• That is about how many I am probably going to have to make. Thanks, that's good to know. 

If you don't mind my asking, what are the specs on the server you're running it on?

Any other advise?

• Our greatest impact comes from these multiple sources: NETFLOW, SYSLOG messages and SNMP TRAPS - Averages of 700,000 Syslogs per day and 2,000 SNMP Traps per day.

Which all of this is compounded by over 50 NETFLOW sources pounding away at SQL. (And the information provided by Netflow is great stuff).

I'm trying to get an upgrade to RAID 1-0 just because of Netflow volumes being our biggest burden on resources.

Here are those  specs:

ORION (Physical not virtual)

OS Name                Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Server 2003, Enterprise Edition         

System Manufacturer         Dell Computer Corporation              

System Model       PowerEdge 6850

System Type          X86-based PC      

Processor              x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~2992 Mhz     

Total Physical Memory        8,187.05 MB        

Available Physical Memory                5.75 GB 

Total Virtual Memory          9.42 GB 

Available Virtual Memory   7.46 GB 

Page File Space    2.00 GB 

(ORION's SQL - Physical not virtual - RAID5 - Only database is Orion)

OS Name                Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Server 2003, Standard Edition           

System Manufacturer         Dell Inc. 

System Model       PowerEdge 2950

System Type          X86-based PC      

Processor              x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~2992 Mhz     

Total Physical Memory        4,094.98 MB        

Available Physical Memory                1.39 GB 

Total Virtual Memory          5.83 GB 

Available Virtual Memory   3.37 GB 

Page File Space    2.00 GB 

Hope this helps!