5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2010 3:59 PM by Steve Welsh

DLL fails to initialize on the first few devices

Sartuche24

I keep getting this error when trying to run CatTools against some devices.

Client script error: Automation error<LF>A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed.

It does it on say about the first 10 devices, it throws up a window saying can't set allocations and after hitting OK about ten times the activity runs fine. I'm running CatTools on Vista but if I run it in XP it runs fine and I never get this error. I also turned off the UAC and told Vista to run CatTools in XP Compatibility Mode. What do I need to change to get this to run correctly. I tried installing as a service and I can run one activity but any activity I run afterwards just hangs and hangs and won't allow me to run another activity unless I reboot the box.

• Re: DLL fails to initialize on the first few devices
          Steve Welsh

Which version of CatTools are you running?

Regards,

Steve

Steve Welsh

Did you install and are you running CatTools as Administrator?

Also is your Vista x86 or x64 and (if applicable) which service pack are you on?

Steve

Sartuche24

I installed it as Administrator and I'm running it as the administrator. Also I don't have Vista UAC running. This is x86 and Vista Enterprise Edition SP2. I was watching with Process Explorer and I can see that the dll is started but then it immediately crashes several times and thats when I get the Error but then it will finally start and run the program. I've also installed it as a Service but I run into my other issue that is prevalent in both Application and Service Mode and that's when I run a custom activity the memory is never released so I have to kill the CatTools_Client.exe and then when I run another activity it will run through the same error process. If I kill the CatTools_Client.exe while in Service Mode I can't do anything unless I reboot the box.

Steve Welsh

Normally the CatTools_Client.exe process is controlled by CatTools when an activity is run.

Generally the first time you run CatTools, (after say an upgrade or clean install) there will be no CatTools_Client.exe process until the first activity is run.

If you kill the CatTools_Client.exe, it will terminate the activities currently running.  However the next activity you then run will recreate the CatTools_Client.exe process again.

It sounds like your installation of CatTools on Vista is having problems starting the CatTools_Client.exe process.

When you told Vista to run CatTools in 'XP compatibility mode', was this including the CatTools_Client.exe, or just the CatTools.exe (if installed as an Application); or the CatTools_Manager.exe and CatTools_Service.exe (if installed as a Service)?

If this isn't the problem, then you may also (as a test) what to try disabling the firewall temporarily to see if CatTools then runs correctly.  If it does then you may need to add firewall exceptions for all the CatTools .exes?

Steve