This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Network throuput reports

FormerMember
FormerMember

Hi,

I am new to Solarwinds.Just want ot know if there is way to get network throuput reports in Solarwinds?

Nishant

• Could you define what you mean by network throughput reports? With NTA you can add a WAN port and monitor traffic levels. Is that what you are looking for? 

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to wrodenbusch

Throughput is the amount of data that can be transferred over any device at one point in time or maximum utilization of any interface”.

Client is looking for trend report for any two sites , so that when there is a problem between these two sites they can compare the result from these reports.

• Sites are joined by interfaces, so I guess that you really need the normal traffic through a variety of specific interfaces.

If you've added all of your routers and specified their interconnecting interfaces, you already have the information that you need, but perhaps cannot find it.

I have drawn a Visio map overview of our intersite links which I saved as a JPG and loaded into Orion with Network Atlas. Then I drew basic topologies of each site, saved them as JPGs and uploaded them too. On the main map, I added each of the site icon maps so that you could click on a site icon on the main map and it would drill down to the site topology map. Finally, I added the interconnecting interfaces from site to site and joined them up. Now these interconnecting links are very obvious, they go red if they are broken and you can simply click on them to drill down to the detail of that interface with all of its tracking history.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to robertcbrowning

Thanks for th einformation. Will yo uplz guide me to do the same here in my enviroment.

• It can be a fairly lengthy process if you're starting from nothing. If you've installed Orion & either DISCOVERED all of your devices and interfaces or have added them manually, you are already collecting the data that you need. The trick is to understand what it all means and where and how it all relates.

You will need to understand your company's topology; draw up the network overview (n sites all linked by MPLS/ISDN/Broadband/etc) and work though all of your nodes to add their location to the detail of them in Orion.

You can use Network Atlas to create a map per site and drag all of the nodes into the correct map. Then create a map of your overview and drag each site maps onto your overall topology map.

You can drag site-outside interfaces to the top-level map and then connect them with lines to represent each of the comms links.

NPMv10 has a ConnectNow facility which will join up all the laver-2 connections, but it does not yet function for layer-3.

And that's that!

It can deliver a better understanding of the topology to all 1st line which is another major benefit and if a problem develops at a site, it can turn that site's icon, on the top level map, to red to highlight a problem.

As you go on you may want to stack additional maps under your sites to show things like how switch resilience or cluster resilience is actually deployed.