4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2010 9:59 AM by bwiechman

SNMP/Syslog Alerts Feature Request

bwiechman

Is there any way that you could add a variable for Syslog/SNMP Trap alerts that would reference the name configured for that element in NPM?

Rationale: The hostname is not supplied by many of our devices as they are simply only referenced by IP address so the syslog/trap alerts only have IP addresses available to them. This is great for me. I know what 172.17.6.100 is, but other support staff or on-call technicians do not. I suppose I could use an SQL query, but having a built-in variable that would dive into the database and return the name configured for the node in question if it is available would help improve the clarify of trap/syslog alerts greatly.

• Re: SNMP/Syslog Alerts Feature Request
          Tomas.Mlcoch

There is column caption on Traps page on Web Console displayed that could help identify the device. You could also define Trap/Syslog action (e.g. send email)  where you can insert ${Caption} variable.

Is this what you need or do expect  something else?

bwiechman

That would work in the case where I define a trap alert for a single device. However we typically have tens or dozens of a particular type of device in the network, with one trap configured to cover a degraded condition for all of the. For example I have trap alerts set up for when a base station or access point loses GPS sync. This halts transmission and drops all subscribers. So a single trap alert would alert on potentially nearly 100 different devices. I can't really hard code that, or create a unique alert for each device in a maintainable way.

The side effect of this is as I have described: I remember all the IPs and what they belong to, but if I include an on-call tech so I don't have to call them every time something like this happens, they have no idea which device is which without diving back to a spreadsheet or other doc to double check - which takes time to compile, maintain, update, and ensure that 15-20 people have the correct version when things change.

All these devices are typically being monitored elsewhere in Orion so the node has a name associated with it in the various databases already. I just want a variable that exposes that name, if it exists, in a syslog/snmp trap alert. If it doesn't exist simply use the IP and we'll deal with it.

chris.lapoint

What version of Orion are you running?   In Orion 10.0, we added the following Syslog and Trap enhancements:

• Using the standard Orion ${vbName1} and ${vbData1}variable format,, trap variable binding names and value pairs are now available as alerting and message variables.
                  • The Trap Viewer now allows you to use pattern matching on trap details to create custom trap alerts.
                  • Orion NPM node variables are now available for use in Syslog and trap alerts.
                  • Syslog and trap alerts now respect unmanaged node status.
                  • Orion NPM can now change the status of an interface based on the content of a trap message.
                  • Forwarded Syslog messages may now be configured to retain the IP address of the original message source.
                  • Forwarded Syslog messages may also be configured to spoof network packets using WinPCap 3.0+

The item in bold should provide you access to the node caption in your email alerts provided that the source IP of the trap can be mapped to a managed node in Orion.

Let us know if this is what you're looking for

bwiechman

What version of Orion are you running?   In Orion 10.0, we added the following Syslog and Trap enhancements:

• Using the standard Orion ${vbName1} and ${vbData1}variable format,, trap variable binding names and value pairs are now available as alerting and message variables.
                      • The Trap Viewer now allows you to use pattern matching on trap details to create custom trap alerts.
                      • Orion NPM node variables are now available for use in Syslog and trap alerts.
                      • Syslog and trap alerts now respect unmanaged node status.
                      • Orion NPM can now change the status of an interface based on the content of a trap message.
                      • Forwarded Syslog messages may now be configured to retain the IP address of the original message source.
                      • Forwarded Syslog messages may also be configured to spoof network packets using WinPCap 3.0+

The item in bold should provide you access to the node caption in your email alerts provided that the source IP of the trap can be mapped to a managed node in Orion.

Let us know if this is what you're looking for

hmm... missed that. That works. Thanks