12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2010 4:21 PM by bwiechman

Modifying host in URL

bwiechman

I was playing around a bit with the Acknowlegement link in alerts. Seems to work fairly well. Is there any way to modify the hostname included in the URL? Our installation is pulling the box hostname which cannot be resolved. I've seen this in the past with reports and other things as well.

• Re: Modifying host in URL
          mattjenkins

Hi bwiechman,

How do you add the acknowledgement link to emails??

mattjenkins

Ah dont worry ive found it!!

But i have a similar problem to you in that i cant edit the url, except that im using a https site and the link defaults to http....

bwiechman

Yeah. I've had the problem in the past with reports, etc. Not a huge deal for me - I just edited my hosts file. However there are still some issues with this approach that I've seen. The page will pull up fine, but various resources must not have access to the hosts file or something because I've noticed that when pulling up the web interface using links where the resolution relies on the hosts file the page continuously loads. All the major content has always "appeared" to be there, but something under the hood must just keep churning.

At some point we hope to provide SLA information to customers and then this will be a greater issue as I can't be hacking the hosts file for dozens of customers.

jspanitz

OK, how does one do this?  Are there instructions somewhere?

bwiechman

Include the acknowledgment link in the alert? Include this macro ${AcknowledgeURL}

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            jspanitz

Thx!  I was missing it.  All I saw was ${Acknowledge} for some reason.  Guess I need more coffee.

rspoelstra

I know I'm a couple months late to this discussion but am having a problem with this and don't see the answer.  I have the $(AcknowledgeURL) in my alert but when it sends it out, it uses the machine name instead of a URL.  This doesn't work when they send out as pages since I can't resolve that outside the network.  Any idea where I can modify the first part of the URL to include the actual URL instead of the machine name?  Thanks

bwiechman

You can change the value in the database directly.

In your NPM database find dbo.Websites. Change the server name from the host name to the IP of your Orion server.

I have been doing this for a while and have not seen any issues with it and it solves the issue you noted. We do not use a standby server so I don't know how it will react in that use case.

Note that you will have to change this entry every time you upgrade/run the Configuration utility. With this change a second row will be added as the primary using the hostname and the modified row containing the IP will be set as a secondary server. I just delete the new row and set the type back to primary every time.

rspoelstra

Thanks for the tip, that did seem to fix part of the issue at least.  I have it pointing to my external IP since that is what we will be using afterhours and it gets to our log in screen but then gives an error.  The specific error is:

Incorrectly formatted Alert key value []. Should be [AlertDefID:ObjID:ObjType]

I've tried to just copy directly from the e-mail but seem to get to this same error every time. I've tried by our internal IP, external IP, and URL.  Any suggestions?

bwiechman

No. I haven't run into that issue at all. The ack link in the alert dumps me straight through without any errors.

We don't use this feature extensively at this time, so I haven't heavily tested it other than verifying that the modification worked and would bring me to the appropriate alert.