5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2010 6:11 AM by k.w.kamphuis

Added events

Hi all,

I searched this forum but could not find an answer. Here's what I am trying to find out. Once in a month my NPM 10 eventlog is filled with 'Added  interface' events. These are all interfaces that are already in the database. Some of these interface are down as I already know. As a result I recieve alert emails that an interface has gone down, which isn't, because it was already down. Why is NPM doing this? I cannot seem to find out which setting in NPM is causing this. Please help.

Kind regards,

Kees Kamphuis

• Re: Added events
          smargh
          Are these events based on alerts which were previously acknowledged?

If so, there is a bug where acknowledged alerts will be 'removed' after 10 days and be triggered afresh, with corresponding email alerts & events etc, and will need acknowledging again. The 10 days can be changed to about a month, but it will still happen.

No, I didn't acknowledge these events. So if this bug is related to clearing events, it is not what's causing the issue. Is there any other setting that can cause this rediscover behaviour?

smargh
                  Are you running Orion on a virtual machine? I've seen this kind of thing if I pause & later resume when it's running on a VM.

Yep, Orion NPM 10 is installed on a virtual Windows 2008 server. I'll ask our system administrators if this VM is incidentally paused for maintenance reasons.  I'll let you know.

Our SolarWinds NPM uses  a virtual MS SQL 2005 server. Looks like this SQL server is the cause of our problem. At the time I get the 'Remove/Add interface' events, the SQL server is temporarily unavailable due to backup (snapshot). Strange though the backup is scheduled every day and I get this issue once a month. We'll figure out how to get around this. For now this problem is solved.

Thanks for your help.