This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Sampled Netflow bandwidth graphs

I am collecting sampled netflow data from a couple of our core Cisco routers and have noticed that the link bandwidth reported by NTA is not the same as that recorded by the NPM.

For example, one of our links in NPM records over 800Mbps of traffic, but NTA reports that traffic on the same link as only approximately 6Mbps.

Can anyone offer an explanation for this discrepancy?

• If you are using sampled netflow data then you are only sending one of every X flows to the Orion server. This means that we will only show you 1/X of the flows and approximately 1/X of the bandwidth. You would need to send all packets to get a similar bandwidth reading. 

• If this is the case it, does it not render the Rate and Data Transferred per interval graphs meaningless in NTA?

Why do my sFlow devices report accurate bandwidth rates on ports? It too is a sampling technology.

• It does make the graphs a bit less useful in this instance. However, if you keep the sample rate in mind, you will still see the spikes in traffic. 

I am not sure about the sFlow devices. I suppose it would depend on how the sampling is set up and what percent of flows are exported.