2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2010 2:45 PM by maheshmylar

IPFIX for Layer4 and Layer7 proxies

Hi,

For statefull layer4 or layer7 proxy with content modification, we will be having 2 different TCP connections, one will be on the client side and other will be on the server side. Considering below IPFIX template:

Field Type                     Field Type                Number Description

IN_BYTES                          1                          Ingress bytes counter

IN_PKTS                            2                          Ingress packets counter

PROTOCOL                        4                          Layer 4 protocol

L4_SRC_PORT                   7                          Source TCP/UDP port

IPV4_SRC_ADDR               8                          Source IP address

INPUT_SNMP                    10                         SNMP ingress interface index

L4_DST_PORT                   11                         Destination TCP/UDP port

IPV4_DST_ADDR                12                        Destination IP address

OUTPUT_SNMP                  14                         SNMP egress interface index

Considering src/dst ip addresses on client and sever side are different, we will be having two flow with ingress IEs (no biflow or post* IEs are added), will the SolarWinds Orion NetFlow Traffic Analyzer predefined reports work fine?

Is there a plan to support layer4 and above proxies with IPFIX biflow records. Is there a plan to use post* IEs for report generation?

• Re: IPFIX for Layer4 and Layer7 proxies
          chris.lapoint

Have you ran into any specific issues with NTA displaying this data properly?   Based on the fields you listed above, there shouldn't be any problem reporting since the fields match our requirements (see here)

• Re: IPFIX for Layer4 and Layer7 proxies

Hi Chris,

Thanks for replying. I have not yet started using NTA. My thinking is NTA will work fine with the template, but the reports will be wrong. Let me ask my question differently.

If we have template/record as 

Field Type                     Field Type                Number Description

IN_BYTES                          1                          Ingress bytes counter

IN_PKTS                            2                          Ingress packets counter

PROTOCOL                        4                          Layer 4 protocol

L4_SRC_PORT                   7                          Source TCP/UDP port

IPV4_SRC_ADDR               8                          Source IP address

INPUT_SNMP                    10                         SNMP ingress interface index

L4_DST_PORT                   11                         Destination TCP/UDP port

IPV4_DST_ADDR                12                        Destination IP address

OUTPUT_SNMP                  14                         SNMP egress interface index

This define only layer3 flow. i.e how IN_PKTS number of packets came through INPUT_SNMP interface and same is forwarded through OUTPUT_SNMP interface and this belongs specified port IP and port numbers. If i have another flow with same IP and port numbers but in reverse order, we have one TCP flow. If we do not want to see throughput of a dual flow single TCP connection. Aggregating a single flow is fine. 

If we think of calculating throughput of a device, probably we need to add IN_BYTES as number of ingress bytes and same number of bytes are forwarded (egress), so throughput will be ingress + egress, we just need to multiply aggregated IN_BYTES by 2 times, right?

If my understanding is correct, ingress and egress bytes will be true only for layer3 and layer2 devices. How will it work for layer4 and above devices?

Regards,

Mahesh