10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2010 8:52 AM by Halef

Beta 3 stackable charts

HBrandNSB

How do I use the stackable charts feature in beta 3? does this mean I can see a utilization chart for a set of 4 interfaces clumped together?

• Re: Beta 3 stackable charts
          bshopp

On the node details page there should be a new resource available for stackable charts.  If not, edit a view and there is a new category called stacked charts I think and you can add it there too.  Once it is added, edit the resource and choose the appropriate data elements you want.

HBrandNSB

Works good. Only suggestion I have would be if it is possible to add a combined chart that maps both average bps in/out. Right now you need two separate combined charts. One for in, one for out.

bshopp

Yep, that is a known limitation of what we were able to get in based on the time frame we had.  We will look to continue to enhance this going forward with additional features.

jspanitz

Absolutely loving the Multiple Interfaces Chart.  I just click on our CX4 Array and saw the chart was part of the node details page.  Very Nice.  And I like the fact that there are two options - Automatically display interfaces related to the current view OR Select specific interfaces.

I would suggest two things here.  First, when using the automagic option, have some way of filtering / selecting the types of interfaces.  For instance, using this option on the array, we get both Network and Fiber charts on one graph.  That may be useful to correlate issues, but probably not so much for day to day charting.  Second, when using the manual option, when the list of interfaces appear after selecting this option from a node, it would be nice if that nodes interfaces were selected and show (autoscroll the window to the node / interfaces and check the boxes).

Just my $.02.

chris.lapoint

Thanks for the feedback.  We're really glad you're loving it! ;-)

First, when using the automagic option, have some way of filtering / selecting the types of interfaces.  For instance, using this option on the array, we get both Network and Fiber charts on one graph.  That may be useful to correlate issues, but probably not so much for day to day charting.

Great idea.  This came up in our design reviews, but we had to cut scope to ensure it made the release.  We'll definitely consider this for the next release.

Second, when using the manual option, when the list of interfaces appear after selecting this option from a node, it would be nice if that nodes interfaces were selected and show (autoscroll the window to the node / interfaces and check the boxes).

I agree.  Not sure if we can squeeze this in before RC, but I've created a tracking item for this.   For internal folks, see FB#29891

Halef

First, when using the automagic option, have some way of filtering / selecting the types of interfaces. 

If I understand correctly, this can be achieved by doing this (not exactly obvious) configuration:

Do not use the Automatic option. Use "Select specific interfaces", then group by "Interface Type" and select all interfaces of the type you want to show (across all nodes). Then on the edit page check "Only show items listed above that are related to this view."

This should filter the interfaces 1) on the specified type 2) on the current node.

Please let us know if this behaves as you need.

jspanitz

Halef - Thanks!  Technically, that does indeed work.  from a usability point of view, it's not so great.  Why?  It's hidden, not intuitive and way to many clicks.

I'd say that after clicking "Select specific interfaces" - the items that show up and are checked off by default should be "only interfaces related to the current view".  This is what I was trying to describe in my original post.

Halef

Halef - Thanks!  Technically, that does indeed work.  from a usability point of view, it's not so great.  Why?  It's hidden, not intuitive and way to many clicks.

I'd say that after clicking "Select specific interfaces" - the items that show up and are checked off by default should be "only interfaces related to the current view".  This is what I was trying to describe in my original post.

I aggree that usability is bad here. And I realized that what I described is more a workaround than solution (it only works for existing interfaces - if you add some more interfaces to Orion, you will need to do this configuration again.) We will definitely keep your original suggestions on the list.

Halef

Works good. Only suggestion I have would be if it is possible to add a combined chart that maps both average bps in/out. Right now you need two separate combined charts. One for in, one for out.

What exactly you mean by this? A chart that shows separate lines for IN, and separate lines for OUT, all in one chart? Or a chart that shows lines for (IN+OUT)? #2 would be a little easier to do :), does it look helpful?