This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

10Gig ifSpeed and net-snmp

All,

I've read several posts (here and elsewhere) about net-snmp reporting ifSpeed incorrectly for 10GigE interfaces.  My interfaces all report 10Mb, and you can imagine the alerts are going crazy.  I tried using the custom interface speed and that works, at least for a little bit.  But I've noticed after the default 30 minute "rediscovery" of the node, the settings go back to 10Mb, and the alerts go crazy again.

Has anyone found a solution for this?  I've seen posts about net-snmp 5.4 correcting this, but 5.4 is not available for RedHat yet.

Dwyane

• I'd be curious why the rediscovery is overwriting your custom interface speed. I do not think it is supposed to do that. If the rediscovery is supposed to overwrite your custom speeds, what is the point of custom interface speeds if they never stay custom?

• I haven't addressed that yet, but I agree.  However, my immediate concern is getting net-snmp to report the correct ifSpeed, so it doesn't get overwritten.

Incidentally, I'm on V10 SP1...

Dwyane

• We have also seen this on older versions of net-snmp (5.1.X on Debian etch) and custom interface speed has worked correctly (NPM10 SP1)

Net-snmp (5.3.2.2 on RHEL) reports correctly for us,  I would suggest opening a support ticket on the rediscovery issue.

JB