5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2010 9:05 AM by byrona

How to know total number of Custom Pollers per Polling Engine?

Duck

Hi,

How can I know the total number of elements in a poller including the custom pollers? I think that the number of elements displayed on the web, through NPM polling engines, does not include the UnDPs. Our clients does not want any data gap. After the baselining, we came up with around 5000 elements per poller with a 10 min. polling interval. But we find that one of the poller still has data gap. So i assume that this was because of the custom pollers handled by that polling engine or am I wrong?

Can someone help me out?We are going to have an activity later to resolve this issue. How can we know how many UnDPs a polling engine is handling and can we transfer one UnDP from one poller to another?How?

Regards,

Leonard

• Re: How to know total number of Custom Pollers per Polling Engine?
          neilmborilla

But we find that one of the poller still has data gap. So i assume that this was because of the custom pollers handled by that polling engine or am I wrong?

Data graps can be caused by a number of different reasons:

1. SNMP requests refused or timing out on the remote device

2. ICMP (Ping) timeouts or refusals on the remote device

3. SQL server resource is over stressed

4. Polling intervals not set at the time span requested by the chart or grap.

You may also need to check the outstanding polls.....go to system manager > File> Polling Status

Can someone help me out?We are going to have an activity later to resolve this issue. How can we know how many UnDPs a polling engine is handling and can we transfer one UnDP from one poller to another?How?

I believe if you open UnDP on all polling engines...you will get the same info. (Anyone, can correct me if I'm wrong) UnDP is set to poll on the nodes depending on the polling engine where that node is assigned to.

neilmborilla

I dont think so.

If you really wanted to know how many nodes/elements are being polled by UnDP....You should be looking at UnDP itself manually

Duck

Regarding our problem with gaps, can we increase our polls per tuning?since our cpu util is low I just thought why not maximize our resources. Is that ok?

byrona

If you want to know the true number of elements your system is working with you can get that information in the web interface.  Go to the Polling Engines section and look at the SNMP Statistic Polling Index total number on the right; that number should reflect the true number of elements your system is polling including UnDP's.

Regarding our problem with gaps, can we increase our polls per tuning?since our cpu util is low I just thought why not maximize our resources. Is that ok?

You do not want to just max your polls per second as that will result in "thrashing".  Basically your system will attempt to do all of it's polls (or as many as you have allowed) all at once.  You want to attempt to spread your polling our over the polling period to keep a nice steady polls per second operation.