This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

custom poller assignment filter

I have about 10000 interfaces and would like to assign a custom poller to all of the "ethernet" interfaces.  Sure would be handy to be able to filter in the assign pollers wizard, maybe like the NCM job assignment filtering capabilities (but for interfaces) :)

here is another post requesting this

thx

• I do get that you can filter within the nodes management [admin] of web page, but I can only do approx 100 at a time..rough...FYI

• so I tried to work around by adding an interface custom property and setting it = 1 if "ethernet", but in the UnDP gui, even when dealing with an interface poller, you can only "GROUP BY".  It would be great to see "FILTER BY" and have that look at node/interface custom properties as well.

back to the drawing board to apply this to my 6000+ Ethernet interfaces :/

• Perhaps the subject of the post needs improving. My suggestion is: Assign a list of custom pollers automatically based upon new & existing custom attributes or substrings of discovered node properties - perhaps that needs shortening though :)

I remember reading that templates for new nodes (including applying universal [custom] pollers) are are on the wishlist, but I can't recall if they were only for new nodes, or if it would apply to nodes which are already on Orion.

Because there is no easy way of grabbing a device make and model in a consistent manner, I apply a "Model" text custom property to every single node, and it would improve administration massively if universal pollers could be assigned by custom property. For example, every "Model" matching the SQL wildcard "ProLiant%" needs to have about 40 pollers assigned to every node.

Simply assigning pollers by specifying a template at the point of creating a node manually within the UI is inappropriate - custom properties will be input later, and changed on a sometimes on one-off ad-hoc basis.

The same goes for 3Com switches - the health pollers for those currently need to be added manually, but in the future it could be automated in a template fasion, but only as long as the templates are applied by either custom property or SNMP "Description" or "Vendor" values after a node has already been added. The requirement is to simplify administration, not just have a  UI addition to apply a template at the point of creation. The template feature must take in to consideration that a new node can be added automatically via Network Sonar discovery. This should apply custom properties to every discovered node for each given regex for each attribute or custom property, AND there should be a subequent process do apply the same templates whenever a custom property is subsequently added manually.

When templates are applied automatically, I should be able to create an email alert (or it should be included by default in every retail builds!) which will send an email when a new node is added to Orion.

I believe there are some devices which don't return obvious strings in the device description, so setting attributes & pollers based upon new and existing customer properties is an essential feature which should, I think, form part of the decision-making process during the designing of this feature.

I'm very keen on this feature - we're an NPM SLX customer and would very much love to have this ability, so much so that I'm currently writing a script to update custom properties of nodes from a different lookup database because it's so time consuming and error prone to update and add them. Adding custom pollers based on certain criteria is something which is probably not straightforward and should be left to Orion to manage.

• @smarqh - "Assign a list of custom pollers automatically based upon new & existing custom attributes or substrings of discovered node properties"

Love that idea.  Had that running around in my head as well as I've seen so many requests here for grouping of UnPDs.  If Sun ..., If Poweredge% ..., If Proliant% ..., If ... 

Ability to create rules sets for adding UnPDs to devices either as discovered or through a task run after discovery would be a great feature. 

• SW, can you tag this for PM review :)

thx