6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2012 1:34 PM by Deltona

Changing a Node from 32 bit to 64 bit counters

SimonEvans

Hello...

We have discovered we have a number of interfaces on a number of our nodes being monitored by Orion NPM (V10.0 SP1) that are not providing correct utilization information.  It turns out that the issue is that the nodes are being polled for 32-bit counters rather than 64-bit counters.  There are a number of Thwack threads that discuss the use of 64-bit counters:

Re: Allowing 64 bit Counters

wrong util and interface load data due to ifMib counter rollovers. How to make sure it uses ifXmibs?

Re: How are counter wraps/rollovers handled?

Re: wrong util and interface load data due to ifMib counter rollovers. How to make sure it uses ifXmibs?

The difficulty we have is that we have a lot of nodes that are currently being monitored using 32-bit counters.  We need to update these to use 64-bit counters.

We have tried manually updating the definition of individual nodes and ticking the 'Allow 64 bit counters' item.  We can see that the appropriate field in the SQL Nodes table does get updated accordingly.  However this does not seem to change the MIBs that Orion is polling the device for.  There is a comment from 'miracle' in 'Re: wrong util and interface load data due to ifMib counter rollovers. How to make sure it uses ifXmibs?' that indicates that NPM has to be restarted to allow this change to take effect.  This seems a little extreme.

Is there any other way to get NPM to start polling for 64-bit counters without having to restart the NPM poller?

Cheers,

... Simon

• Re: Changing a Node from 32 bit to 64 bit counters
          SimonEvans

Hello...

Here is as update to my original post.  We have tried bouncing the poller after we changed the configuration of some nodes to use 64-bit counters.  We still have interfaces whose utilisation is not being reported correctly.

When using versions before Orion 10.0 we had been able to change the configuration of nodes to use 64-bit with no issues.  Has anyone else had an issue with this when using Orion 10.0 and/or 10.0 SP1?

So far we have come up with two ways to update the configuration of nodes so that they can use 64-bit counters:

1. Add the same node to another poller and specify 64-bit counters when adding the node.  This is not ideal as it means that you are polling the device twice as often.  Historical information for the node is lost when the node that is polling for 32-bit counters is deleted.

2. Re-add the same node to the same poller that it is already being monitored on.  This seemed to partially work for one node that we tried.  That is some interfaces that were not previously showing utilisation information started showing utilisation after the change, however this information was not being displayed for all things that they have.

If anyone else has had this sort of issue with existing nodes being changed to use 64-bit counters please let me know.

Cheers,

... Simon

kbuska

Any resolution to this? I have the same issue.

Debbi

We need to do a change of nearly all of our nodes to be polled for 64-bit counters, using NPM 10.3.1.

1. Can I change my nodes to allow 64-bit counters and and expect that Orion will start polling with the correct MIBs without restarting NPM?

2. Will I lose any historical data for the node?

2.5. If I am in "Admin" and "Manage Nodes" and choose more than one node, choose "Edit Properties" and change them to allow 64-bit counters, none of them actually change.  Why?

3. Is there a SQL command to change a group of nodes en masse?

4. How can I tell if the correct MIB is being used after the change?

5. Right now when I change a node to allow 64-bit counters and event generates that says : RW community string for Hlth-Cleveland-3550 changed.  Why is that?

Thanks.

Debbi

RichardLetts

1. it seems to

2. not that I have noticed, this only affects how the data is gathered.

3. update nodes set Allow64BitCounters=1 where ...

4. as far as I can tell the pollers take their value from the nodes table, and the periodic rediscovery of the node and/or interfaces fixes up the counters being used by the pollers. To see what 32-bit only pollers:

Select * From Pollers where PollerType like '%32%'

[should only be the interface error counters]

Select * from interfaces where Counter64='Y'

tells you the interfaces that support 64-bit counters.

Some interfaces may not support the 64-bit counters  (e.g. T1 interfaces on some of my routers do not have 64bit counters, but the MLPP bundle they are in does)

Deltona

Hi there,

Using SQL Management Studio, execute the following query:

UPDATE dbo.Nodes

SET Allow64BitCounters = 'True'

Make sure the Orion database is selected when executing the query.

Not entirely related but somewhat so, confirm that the database recovery model is set to Simple and NOT Full.

Regards,

Deltona