2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2010 5:56 PM by smargh

Ability to put in a backup IP address for each node

nmcnair

We have a large number of sites that have a primary WAN link with backup (mostly cellular)..It would be great if we could add the IP address of the backup connection to a node.  The system would not poll the backup IP address unless the primary went offline. Once the primary goes offline the system then moves ICMP and SNMP to the backup IP..If it responds then you could have a new node status instead of just up, down, warning..you could add IN BACKUP or something along those lines. Then you could continue to collect statistics on the site using the backup IP, and store that data in the same node. You could also see very easily if you were in a down hard state or up in backup mode. You would still get an alert to troubleshoot the primary loss of service but the node would show UP (in Backup). It would also allow you to calculate actual down time instead of just primary outage time.

• Re: Ability to put in a backup IP address for each node

Nmcnair--

Marked for the PM to review and thanks for the feedback.

M

• Re: Ability to put in a backup IP address for each node
              smargh

Good idea. For our sites with bonded connections we just monitor the interface status, which is normally sufficient, but this would not detect the lack of traffic on a primary/backup link (i.e. remote site->internet  routing issues would not trigger alerts) - it would only find that a given interface is not up. I suppose what would be considered useful depends on the network topology though.

To make coding this easier, I'd suggest just giving a node the ability to have multiple IPs and then giving each IP a label. If one goes down, put it in to a "DEGRADED" state, rather than "IN BACKUP", because perhaps the backup link is down rather than the primary, or the node might have several bonded connections.

One instance where I would find this useful is by giving a node both internal and external (internet) IP addresses - this would mean that I could get an alert indicating that the external IP is fine, but the VPN device is not connecting, which means that only the VPN device needs rebooting first rather than the briged DSL modem. Of course, perhaps it would be a challenge to find the Internet-facing IP of all devices automatically :)