This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Monitor processes /services on Unix systems

I cannot seem to monitor processes/services on unix based systems using SNMP. Everything works well on windows systems.

I have added the services to snmp.conf file as directed on their site, this shows the service, but I cannot seem to detect the state of the service, i.e the service stays permanently up even when the service is shut down to simulate an outage. I guess my problem as to do with the test match pattern value that I need to specify during snmp wizard.

Im using IP Monitor 9.
  • dont think you can monitor a process directly on a unix server.

one solution is to write a script that checks ps output and returns 0 or 1 state for not running/running, then execute the script when polling SNMP. this would be indirect, but you will get state of a process.

• Hi elemzy

Here's how I'm monitoring processes on Ubuntu servers:

- Edit /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf and add a 'proc NAME' entry, where NAME is the name of the process you want to monitor as returned by a 'ps -e' command.

- Restart your snmpd daemon: /etc/init.d/snmpd restart

- In ipMonitor, navigate to your Unix server, add a new Custom SNMP (Wizard) monitor, specify an OID of 1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.2 and click Next.  You should get something like this:

The highlighted fifth entry indicates that there is one process running.  Click Select on that entry, change the comparison mode to "Pass if Value matches a set of Boolean Rules" and specify Value is == 1.

If you're still having problems matching, try shutting the process down and verify that the fifth entry becomes a zero:

HTH

Rgds, Simon

• hello simonpt

I see process names instead of just 1s and 0s under value. I selected one process as an example to be monitored. When I click on the select i see the following page. I do not see "Pass if Value matches a set of Boolean Rules" as suggestyed above. What should i choose next?

SNMP Monitor Wizard

SNMPv2-SMI :: enterprises
    Name
    enterprises
    MIBSNMPv2-SMI
    Oid1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.2.1.2.3
    Pathiso . org . dod . internet . private . enterprises . 2021 . 2 . 1 . 2 . 3
    Index / Unknown2021.2.1.2.3
    Sample Value

nbsvcmon

Comparison Rules :: String

Please enter the text pattern matching Rules that the SNMP Object should match.

Value will

• I see process names instead of just 1s and 0s under value.

Can you please post a screenshot of this?

• Ive tried all i could but i cant paste the screenshot.

What i have listed are the services running on the server, instead of numbers.

I select on and i have the page that was pasted above

• when you reply- select the options tab and then add the screenshot as an attachment.