This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Did not receive expected response to command: show running-config

I have a question, I have 2 Cisco WiSM  (Cisco 6500 blade) that I am trying to use Cat tools to backup the config files on a regular schedule. I have run into the following error when trying to run the activity:  "Did not receive expected response to command: configshow" and then Cat tools disconnects from the switch. I used telnet to issue the show running-config command and what I noticed is right after the show running-config command is issued the switch prompts with: "Press Enter to continue or <CTRL-Z> to abort"  or "--More-- or (q)uit " and sits there until there is user intervension. How can I automate the CR to continue command so I can use Cattools to pull the configuration of these switches? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• CatTools device type scripts will generally either automatically handle the paging prompts like --More--  or "Press Enter to continue or <CTRL-Z> to abort"; or they will issue commands to disable paging so these prompts don't occur (for instance: 'term len 0'; 'no paging', etc.)

What CatTools device type are you using and which version O/S is on your device?

Regards,

Steve

• We have a Cisco WS-SVC-WISM-1-K9=, which consists of 2 identical controllers. Cattools can connect to both controllers of the wism and starts the backup. After a while, cattools stops collecting one controller while the other controller has finished the backup.  The controller which failes the backups, has a much larger config, because the are 140 accesspoint connected. The controller on which the backup is succesfull has 40 accespoint connected.

Specifications:

Manufacturer's Name.............................. Cisco Systems Inc.

Product Name..................................... Cisco Controller

Product Version.................................. 6.0.182.0

RTOS Version..................................... 6.0.182.0

Bootloader Version............................... 4.2.205.0

Cisco Cattools version: 3.3.1.14 Enterprise

I have tried different settings in cattools. By Model i tried Other and 4400

I hope you can help me with this problem.

Regards, Alex
  • Alex,

Can you clarify whether you are therefore using the 'Cisco.Wireless.LAN' device type in CatTools?

Thanks,

Steve

• Steve,

Yes i am using Cisco.Wireless.Lan as Device Type in Cisco Cattools. As Model i have tried Other, 2106, 4400. It doesn't have any affect. I hope you can help me.

Thanks, Alex

• Alex,

A revised Cisco.Wireless.LAN device script has been uploaded to the thwack Content Exchange area at: http://thwack.com/media/44/kiwi-cattools-content/kiwi-cattools-custom-device-scripts/

This script now supports the Device.Backup.TFTP activity which according to some of our other customers is a much more reliable method to backup the device.

Take a backup copy (as a safeguard) of your existing 'Cisco.Wireless.LAN.txt' device script from within the \Scripts folder and then unzip the one from the content share into that directory.

Please post back how you get on.

(For reference: the 'Model' field in the device setup has no real effect on how CatTools device scripts behave.  The Model field is purely a reference field to which you can type anything you like in if your model is not predefined).

Steve

• He Steve,

That was the sollution. Thanks for the support.

Regards, Alex

• Hi Steve,

I have followed all of the directions to get this working, but my device keeps failing. It states: "Sending Y" and then it states? "Y/N encountered". I believe that it is sendong the Y too early because i found the commands that your script runs and they work fine when I manually enter them. Any suggestion?

Thanks,

dennis

• Hi Dennis--

You might consider opening a support ticket here.
    http://www.solarwinds.com/support/ticket

Click Submit a Technical Support Ticket.
    In order to receive technical support, you will need to be current on your SolarWinds maintenance. Complete the form. You will not be able to
    upload your diagnostics, but you will receive an email back that allows you to upload diagnostics.

M

• Thanks Marie. Steve actually got with me very quickly on this. While I was gathering the information that he requested, everything just started working fine. I am not sure what happened, because up until then every time I ran it, it failed. When I was doing the capture, it worked fine and has worked fine ever since. I made no modification to the script and it is working fine for me. Sorry for the confusion.

Dennis

• Hi Dennis--

No worries. Thanks for letting the community know.

M