16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2010 5:10 PM by macnugetz

Looking good so far...

dmcconnell

Installed without any problems over NPM 10.1 Beta 2.

Added Virtualcenter and was able to see my clusters, hosts and vm's in the VMware Assets resource.  Clicking on a host or vm allows you to add it as a node in Orion.  It would be nice, when you click on a vm host that is not currently in Orion, if "Poll for VMware" were pre-selected on the Add Node page.  Even better than that though, would be the ability to multi-select the VMware hosts and add them into Orion all at once.

I would also like to see some sort of datastore resource that shows name, capacity, provisioned and free space.

• Re: Looking good so far...
          srockafield

I too had no problems with the install over NPM 10.1 Beta 2.

However, I had already added a vm host and my vcenter server to NPM before install of the VIM module which may be the cause of the issue I'm seeing.  After the install of the VIM module I re-configured my vcenter server to "Poll for VMware" and it picked up all of my vm hosts.  After manually adding all the hosts I noticed I had two entries for the vm host that I had added to NPM before the install of the VIM module.  I also noticed that it incorrectly calculated my VMware hosts to be 14 clustered and 1 non-clustered, when I in fact don't have any non-clustered hosts.

I tried troubleshooting the issue by restarting all the Orion services, deleting and re-adding the vcenter and vm hosts, but nothing seems to work.  Not sure what else to try at this point.

I love how I can view vmware resources by datacenters and clusters that is a very nice feature.  I also would love to see some datastore resources as mentioned by dmcconnell.  I also think adding support for resource pools would be usefull as well same way as you can with the clusters where it gives you pool details and resource usage.

netlogix

Ah Ha!  There's my problem.  I added all my esx servers before my vCenter server and nothing is showing up under vCenter.  It shows my cluster but no servers or guests.

I'll have to try deleting and re-adding to orion.  Only problem, I still can't get things to delete (even with local not domain authentication).

Derek

Thanks for the great feedback! 

You can select to either poll an ESX host directly or via a vCenter.  The Virtualization component wont change the polling type if pre-existing ESX hosts were added to Orion.

Under the VM Settings page, you can select the polling method (either direct or via the vCenter)

If you decide to move from vCenter polling to direct ESX polling, you will want to ensure that you have your specific ESX credentials set.

Hope this helps.

netlogix

I should have refreshed the page before posting.  what Derek said might have actually fixed me, I'd have to check that out.

macnugetz

netlogix,

This actually raises a great question.  Since we have to poll through Vcenter to know if an ESX host is part of a Vcenter, would it make sense to initially try and poll all hosts through Vcenter as part of the discovery process?  This would pick up any ESX hosts we were polling directly that had previously been added to NPM.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Craig

netlogix

sounds like a good idea, I don't exactly get it except that it would bring existing servesr under the vCenter Server when the vcenter server is added.

I was a little unsure of what was going to happen when I upgrade from 10.0 to 10.1 (does 10.0 monitor vCenter? I hope not cause I would feel dumb right now), but it would be nice to have the history moved with the server under the vCenter.

Also, if a customer had stand alone ESX servers, then got the money to go with vCenter, it would be a nicer path for them.

jspanitz

Craig,  I think this would be the best route.  We added a some servers manually before pointing to vcenter.  Now that we pointed to it, it would be nice it would move the hosts we previously discovered to where the belong under vcenter.  I'd also propose some additional functionality here - I'd like to be able to monitor via vcenter as the primary and optionally fall back to esx hosts as a secondary when the vcenter server is unreachable.  Then when vcenter is reachable again, be able to move back to it.

FWIW, we did the install on top of NPM 10.2 Beta 2 and it was flawless.  Everything is fast and smooth so far.  Looking good.

John

jspanitz

For whatever reason, I can't edit my post.  So it should say we did the install on top of our NPM 10.1 Beta 2 install.

dmcconnell

So what are the pro's/con's of polling ESX directly vs through VCenter server? 

Also, when you add an ESX server through the virtualization summary page, it would be nice, at the end to be returned to the virtualization summary page instead of the regular add node page.

jiri.tomek

Hello David,
                                            if you poll vCenter, there is no reason why you should poll ESX directly. Polling through vCenter gives you more consistent data in relation to other items in your virtualization infrastructure because all data are polled at the same time and you need only one set of credentials.

I can't think of any reason why you would want to poll ESX directly if you already poll it's vCenter but we included this option in case some customer finds it handy.

jspanitz

Jiří - I just wanted to add my thoughts here, because I think this opens up a huge blind spot if one depends soley on using vCenter for monitoring their environment.  The blind spot I am refering to is if the vCenter server is unreachable.  In that instance you loose all visibility.

My preference here, which I posted before, is that we be allowed to set up vCenter as the primary polling method and the individual esx server as the secondary.  Orion would fail over automatically to the secondaries when the primary was down.  And Orion could automatically or manually fail back to the primary when it came back up.

jiri.tomek

Hello jspanitz,
                                                    I see what you mean and I marked this as feature request.

However there are some technical difficulties with your solution. If you poll ESX through vCenter, you get overview of all infrastructure. If you poll directly, you get only ESX perspective. This means that you get different data for some areas because ESX is not aware of other items in your environment but vCenter is.

Now imagine that you poll ESX through vCenter and you have polled data for last month. vCenter fails and ESX fail over to direct polling. It polls data directly for a day. Then vCenter goes back online and ESX is polled again through vCenter. Now data for that day when ESX was polled directly may be inconsistent with other data polled through vCenter just because ESX has limited information about other objects in your virtual environment.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                        jspanitz

Jiří - Well now that could be a problem.  Did not realize you couldn't grab the same data from the host / vcenter.  Is there a good doc on what the differences are?

jiri.tomek

I'm not aware of any document about this, we just encountered these issues during development. Differences between data are not for example different CPU load values or similar. They are more related to object identification. For example the same resource pool from vCenter perspective and from ESX perspective has two different identifications so you are not able to say that it's in fact the same resource pool.

macnugetz

jspanitz,

The difference is going to be with respect to other VMware objects in your virtual infrastructure.  vCenter knows about datacenters, clusters, hosts and guests.  Polling directly through the ESX host is only going to give you data about the host itself and the guests running on it.

Regardless, your suggestion is a good one and I have logged it as a feature request.  These are questions we'll have to work through if this is something we end up implementing.

-Craig

netlogix

found the problem with deleting (tool integration), but I had to delete everything then re-add.