9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2011 2:50 PM by ctopaloglu

Custom Property Wish List

dmcconnell

This may already be on the road map, but I'd like to see some changes to custom properties.

1.  Have the ability to assign each custom property to a group.  When viewing the custom properties on the web console, they should display within their group instead of all being displayed alphabetically.

2.  Have the ability to reorder the properties within each group so they display in a specific order instead of alphabetically.

3.  Have the ability to enter some descriptive text, such as what information should be entered, for each property that is displayed on the web console.

4.  Lookups/dropdown lists.  This would probably be more difficult to implement that the first three, but it would be really nice to be able to provide a dropdown list of the acceptable values for a property.

Thanks,
      David

• Re: Custom Property Wish List
          KenKasmar

Put me down for all of these as well, with emphasis on #4.  For us I would put 'Lookups/dropdown/checkbox' as just short of must have.

ecornwell

# 3 and 4 would be great features.  We have a few cp's related to location and people commonly don't type them correctly messing up some of our filters.   The ability to add text would greatly help those who don't add devices or make changes as frequently as others.

byrona

1.  Have the ability to assign each custom property to a group.  When viewing the custom properties on the web console, they should display within their group instead of all being displayed alphabetically.

Yes, I would absolutely love to see this.

2.  Have the ability to reorder the properties within each group so they display in a specific order instead of alphabetically

This would also be very nice to be able to do.

3.  Have the ability to enter some descriptive text, such as what information should be entered, for each property that is displayed on the web console.

And again, this would also be awesome.

4.  Lookups/dropdown lists.  This would probably be more difficult to implement that the first three, but it would be really nice to be able to provide a dropdown list of the acceptable values for a property.

This is the one I would most like to see and it shouldn't be as difficult as you might think.  All they would need is a filed where you enter comma-separated items that would then be the array for the drop down.

byrona

Forum Managers: Could you please move this post to the Feature Request forum?

mdriskell

I can't state how important this is....all of our alert rules are triggered off of a custom property.  A simple typo could cause an alert to be missed.  If I was the only admin it would be one thing but I have several people who administer the system and there has been more than one issue with a simple typo going into a custom field that causes a device to be classified incorrectly.  

The ability to drop down and also be able to enter a new entry would be ideal. 

DanielleH

All--

I am moving this thread to the NPM Feature Requests forum and marking for a PM to review.

Thanks!

DH

ctopaloglu

This post started at 27/8/2010. Still no answer from any PM?