0 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2010 9:42 AM by christineb

FAQs about VM Console

christineb

We've been getting a few questions about VM Console - so I'm starting an FAQ list. If you have a question - please feel free to submit it and I'll add it to the list. 

Q: Do both VM Monitor and VM Console work with free ESXi ?

A: Yes, it has been tested with the following versions of ESX/ESXi:

• ESX 3.0
      • ESX 3.5
      • ESX 4.0
      • ESX 4.1
      • ESXi 3.5
      • ESXi 4.0
      • ESXi 4.1 (free version)

Q: If a VM moves using VMotion, from one server to another, what happens in regards to these tools? Are stats lost? Are they confused?

A: The stats will continue with the new location.

Q: One of my VMs is showing as down, but I know it is up. Why is this? 

A: Here are the conditions that will cause a VM to show as down: 

• VM Overall Status is OFF. (VM Overall status is a property that vcenter reports for a VM.)
      • VM Power Status is OFF.
      • VM Connection State is: Disconnected, Inaccessible, Invalid, or Orphaned. (Basically anything other than “Connected”)

If any of the above is true we will translate than into a NOT RUNNING status.

Q: I am getting this error message - can you tell me why? 

A: This is a message provided back from the VM Ware server when a management operation (snapshot, suspend, restart) is requested from an account that does not have rights to perform management operations. This error is common for users using one of the free ESX/vcenter servers.

Q: My VM is showing down, but I know it is up.

A: We calculate up/down status of a VM using several criteria: power status, connection status, and something VMware calls overall status. Overall status depends on the status of the alarms you have defined for that VM. The default alarms for a VM are based upon the availability of CPU and memory.  If a VM is showing as down, but you know it is up, it is probably due to the overall status metric, and you should check for high CPU or memory utilization on that VM.