3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2010 7:12 AM by kindbro

Syslog

luis79

I have two questions about Syslog:

1. I have NPM and NCM installed on the same server.  I can have both the Orion NCM Syslog Service and the Solawinds Syslog Service running. However, the Solarwinds Syslog service usually stops on its own after a couple of hours. Also, even if both services are running I can only view syslog entries on either NPM or NCM. It will not display on both at the same time. Is this normal behavior?

2.  Where are the syslog entries stored? Can I use an application such as PowerGrep to do searches on this file(s) 

• Re: Syslog
          Mark Roberts

Unless you have changed the port used for Syslog reception in either NPM or NCM you can only run one of these at a time, as you can only have one application listening on a network port at a time.

The Syslog data is stored within the SQL Database, so you can use SQL Query syntax for searching in the database if the web or syslog console applications are not appropriate tools. If you simply need to do keyword searching they should be.

• Re: Syslog
              luis79

I would like to have both NPM and NCM syslog services working. It is important that I am able to view syslog enrtries in NPM and I plan on setting up real-time syslog alerts on NCM within a few days. Can someone please point me to documetation on how I can chance the listening syslog port on NCM? (I would like to keep NPM on 514)