3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2010 1:31 PM by michalB

Orion Map Performance Issues

AMSW

I am running a very robust environment in 9.5.1 with a separate web server.  We have seen an increase in performance with everything throughout the web except loading the maps.  This problem is significantly worse since since Network Atlas has been introduced.

To build my maps I paste a .gif as the background image on the map in Network Atlas and then add the LEDs to represent my devices/interfaces/etc.  My question is, how does Orion render/build maps to the web?  Does it build it all together as 1 map, or does it just overlay the dynamic content on the background?  I have seen bits of .wmf files that look like maps as well but I am still unclear on what Orion does to take the maps from the Network Atlas builder to the Web...maybe understanding this better I could come up with ideas to improve performance...

• Re: Orion Map Performance Issues
          bshopp

I would recommend upgrading to v10.  We made some specific performance enhancements around maps and network atlas in v10

AMSW

Could you explain a little further on how Orion renders?  I would think that a layered overlay approach could improve performance...something like the base map layer and the status icons at a higher level.  This way content management could cache the background image(s) and only update the higher level icons/status layer when the browser refreshes.

michalB

Orion renders the map using a 3rd party component. Basically, it just loads the map, checks for the objects that are in the map, loads information on the objects(their graphics, background image, etc), loads information on other objects that may influence status of the visible objects (for instance reads status of all interfaces, applications, and volumes of the actual node), and when the status for all map objects is calculated, it just creates a new image.

When there is another map placed on the map being generated, Orion needs to load also this one, but this time it does not need to read all of it (for instance it does not need to load the background, or the icons representing the nodes). Reading all the data from the database takes the most of the time. Rendering in layers (background/nodes) would not speed the process up.

We have done some performance improvements in Orion 10, so only the data that are really needed are read. For instance, status of a nested map is being calculated until a node with the worst status (like Down) is found. After this, nothing can make the status of the map object worse, so the calculation is stopped. This is not in 9.5.1, all the nodes are read, even if they cannot influence the status of the nested map.