4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2010 10:14 AM by mkomeara

Orion Syslog/Trap Alert/Email

willc

Hey,

I was wondering if we could have Orion create an alert/email etc based on a syslog/snmp trap event ? This would be handy to alert on say duplex mismathes or log on failure. Another idea could be to allow statistics to be generated from the traps/syslog messages as this could highlight issues you may other wise miss.

Cheers

W

• Re: Orion Syslog/Trap Alert/Email

Hey willc--

Marked for the PM to review.

Thanks for the feedback.

M

bshopp

If you go into the Syslog and Trap viewer on the Orion server, in each app you create "alerts" against Syslog and Traps to email you or do other actions

willc

Thanks MarieB/bshopp,

What i would like to be able to do is create an alert, that will register on the NPM Alerts tab on Orion. If i was to send an email, everytime we get a duplex error or say a fan rotation error, i would end up sending millions of emails a day that will only end up getting ignored. What i would like is to create an alert like what can create on the NPM Advanced Alert Manager and that will stay up on the alert page for everyone to see that there is an issue here. At the moment the options available on the Syslog/SNMP viewers are useless for environments like mine that receives thousands of traps/logs a day.

Cheers

Willc

mkomeara

We would like to see this capability also.  I have set up rules in the Trap Viewer to email when certain traps are received, but in our case it would work better to have an alert triggered or reset when a trap is received.  That way our support group only has one place and one way to see issues.  My guess is it would be harder to use the trigger/reset capability of an advanced alert, but that would be a really nice feature to use with traps.