3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2010 12:15 AM by byrona

Multiple SNMP traps from different devices

bfullenkamp

Forgive me if this is simple.  We use many APC UPS devices which send an snmp trap when the batteries are going bad.  I want to setup an alert to send an email when this trap is received.  I only want to send one email in a 24 hour period.  The problem is that the email is sent for the first UPS with a battery issue, the 2nd or  3rd UPS with an issue is suppressed.  What I really want is one email per device per 24 hour period.  Thoughts?

• Re: Multiple SNMP traps from different devices
          byrona

You can setup a unique trap alert for eachof your APC UPS devices, I realize this is not an optimal solution from an alert management perspective but it should work.

bfullenkamp

That would work but there are two many devices.  Also devices beinging installed and removed present a system management issue.  It would also be nice to carry a solution to syslog messages as well.  I've run into this issue in several situations.

byrona

That would work but there are two many devices.  Also devices beinging installed and removed present a system management issue.  It would also be nice to carry a solution to syslog messages as well.  I've run into this issue in several situations.

I understand your situation as I have also run into this situation.  As a possible solution to your original problem, you could create a custom UnDP poller to check the status of the batteries in your APC UPS systems and alert on it that way and avoid using the whole trap method all together.  This assumes that this information is available via SNMP in the APC MIB but I would guess that it is.

I realize this doesn't solve the trap or syslog issue you mention but it is a different option that could potentially address your original issue.