26 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2010 8:54 AM by bshopp

Fiber Channel Support

bshopp

All,

As you know with this release we added some product depth around monitoring and managing your Cisco MDS, Brocade and McData fiber channel switches.

Tell me your thoughts?  Do you like it?  What is missing?  Do you like the new VSAN View?

For those of you with Fiber Channel switches if possible if you could send us a mib walk of some of your devices for some internal data validation, it would be much appreciated.

You can send the output directly to me, but here are the steps to do this.

Please download and install net-snmp from http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/

You can download the Win32 binaries here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/net-snmp/files/net-snmp%20binaries/5.5-binaries/net-snmp-5.5.0-1.x86.exe/download

It doesn’t matter what machine do you install it on, as long as it reaches the device.

Run this command from “installation directory/bin/”: snmpwalk -v 2c -c public -O netU 127.0.0.1 1 > output.txt

(change the IP address and community string accordingly)

Pack the file output.txt into zip archive and send it.

• Re: Fiber Channel Support
          netlogix

I have added my cisco 9124, but I don't see fiber channel specific stuff.  Do I have to do anything to get it working?  I'm sending you a snmpwalk of my 9124

bshopp

How long ago did you add it?  Can you retry restarting your module engine service, wait 10-15 mins and let me know if it starts showing up

netlogix

I restarted the module engine and it all showed up.  It's pretty cool!

I feel that this starts to address a short fall of NPM; volume performance.  Space available and total space are nice data to have, but knowing actual IO would be much more useful when you are looking at utilization.

When tuning NPM's polling, it was said to open perfmon on the DB server and look at disk queue length.  It would be awesome to have NPM already have it and trended over time?  We can set that up in APM, but it would be nicer if NPM did it as part of volume monitoring.

It is awesome to see how much more keeps getting added into Orion making it better and better every upgrade.

KenKasmar

Would Xsigo I/O Director be included in this category as well?  I can send off MIBs and/or MIB walks if you like.

bshopp

We have not developed to tested specifically against that, if it uses industry standard MIB implementation, it might work, did you try adding it?  We focused on the primary vendors in the market being Cisco MDS and Brocade/McData

jspanitz

I definitely like where you are going with this.  I like the VSAN View, but it seems sparse.  Perhaps a TOP 10 by interface or by host.  Also, the current VSAN Traffic today graph could possibly be presented like the VM guest stacked graphs.

And that leads me into what is missing.  When I drill down into a fiber switch, I can see the ports and I know what host they are connected to (because we label them that way) but Orion does not.  I would like to see some intelligence added to figure it out - most likely by using WWN of the adapters.

We'd like to see the fiber ports show up under the host node details too, so we can see an aggregate view of that host.

And of course zoning info would be nice.  If NPM grabbed that it could graphically present what host is attached to which switch / port and disk.  Sort like VCenter does with VMs.

Again, nice start but needs more to be truley useful, unless the goal is simply to see port usage.  Don't get me wrong, that is great and nice to have in one place.  Keep up the great work.

John

jspanitz

I wish I could figure out how to paste pictures into forum posts!  I attached the graph we are seeing.  It's just one giant blue color.  No stacking.

jspanitz

I like that it lists all the interface that are in a vsan in that tree view.

It might give better info if I didn't use the same vsan on both of my FC switches.  (I think I am going to change that)

Either that or to give the ability to get a separate graph per switch

I agree that the interface list per switch / vsan is nice.  As for the vlan name. we used the same vsan on both switches since they were talking to the same SANs and Hosts and the ports were pretty much mirrors of each other.  I'd rather not rename to get differenct colors.  But I would like a stacked vsan chart that breaks out the switches by color - like we discussed above.

casonline

Our Storage guys are liking what they see, however it appears to not be complete data.  We have three MDS switches, and it appears to only be picking up vsan 1 on one of the switches.  VSAN 1 is trunked across all three san switches but won't show up on the other two.  We are only getting detailed info for one fo the switches.

they are all on the same code rev too.  a 9513, and some 9509s

thoughts ?