5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2010 10:03 AM by chris.lapoint

Groups and Dependencies

jonchill

Just setting up a New Group and would find it useful if I could use a shift select to select a group of devices rather than having to tick every single box I want in the group so something along the lines of tick highlighted devices?

I've configured 3 groups, core, server switches and Edge switches, I want to be able to set-up a dependency where if the Core group alerts then server and edge go unreachable but it doesn't allow me to select multiple child groups, does this mean I need to set-up multiple dependencies based on the same parent? Can this be changed so I can select multiple child groups per single parent?

Thanks

Jon

• Re: Groups and Dependencies
          bshopp

Good feedback on the group creation, I will enter an item on that.

Currently this is how it works.  So you can either setup multiple dependencies or create a new group which contains the server and edge switches group

chris.lapoint

Jon,

Do you have any feedback on the overall flow of dependency creation or the management interface?    Does it make sense?   Was naming of dependencies an issue?

Thanks,

-Chris

jonchill

Chris

I found it straight forward once I had realised I had to create a group first before I could create dependencies.

The flow to me is straight forward and easy to understand the interface is nice and clear, my only tweak is as I said above having the ability to select multiple child groups for a single parent.

Jon

dmcconnell

The dependency setup process seems a little cumbersome to me. 

I guess I don't really understand why it's "tied" in with groups.  I would much prefer to be able to select the parent node, then select each dependent, as opposed to already having the dependents setup in a group.

I think the interface is fine, but on the choose dependent screen, when you select either groups or nodes form the dropdown list, I would like to see the corresponding list use check boxes instead of radio buttons so I can select multiple items (groups or nodes).

I also noticed if you look at the node details for the parent device, there is a node dependencies resource that shows the details.  This does not appear on the child node details if the child is part of a group.  If, when you're setting up the dependency, you set the child to a node instead of a group, the resource does show up on the node details page. 

Also the "create a new group" link on the choose dependent page should return to this point after the group is created.  Currently, it takes you to the manage groups page.

chris.lapoint
                        I guess I don't really understand why it's "tied" in with groups.  I would much prefer to be able to select the parent node, then select each dependent, as opposed to already having the dependents setup in a group.

I think the interface is fine, but on the choose dependent screen, when you select either groups or nodes form the dropdown list, I would like to see the corresponding list use check boxes instead of radio buttons so I can select multiple items (groups or nodes).

We're absolutely with you, but unfortunately, there is some backend work that would need to happen to make this possible and it wasn't possible in the timeframes we had for this feature.    Hopefully, you can live with groups in the interim, but it's certainly something that will be high on our list for the future.

I also noticed if you look at the node details for the parent device, there is a node dependencies resource that shows the details.  This does not appear on the child node details if the child is part of a group.  If, when you're setting up the dependency, you set the child to a node instead of a group, the resource does show up on the node details page.

This looks like a bug.   I'll enter a bug and have dev investigate.  Thanks!

Also the "create a new group" link on the choose dependent page should return to this point after the group is created.  Currently, it takes you to the manage groups page.

Good idea.  I'll have dev look into whether this is something we can squeeze in.