This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Creating an NPM cluster?

I don't know if this has been addressed, but I was having troubles finding info.  Because of the importance of our monitoring and problems we've had with our existing system, we decided to build a Windows 2008 cluster with 2 computers for our NPM.  I was wondering if there are any suggestions regarding this idea to help smooth things over.  I haven't worked with clustering nearly as much as I'd like, and I have some concerns that there might be problems getting the inactive node to step back and not try to monitor systems while the primary is online.  Any do's or don'ts would be appreciated.

• Firstly, if you intend to use vanilla 2008, you won't be able to reliably use the APM module in the future due to inherent problems with WMI in 2008. Search the forums for "2008 lsass" for reports of the problems - Solarwinds doesn't recommend it.

As for 'clusters' (I presume you mean failover in the event of engine/poller loss) - Solarwinds support has previously said that they are intending at some point to release a 'failover engine' which might also accommodate switching from a broken 'live' database. They've only ever given me a very basic overview of what it will do.

Solarwinds does currently offer hot standby, polling and web server engines but I don't have any experience with them myself. However, it does look to me like they would all need access to the same database, which is a fairly big point of failure.