6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2010 7:04 PM by Capt. Obvious

Monitoring volumes that are not assigned a drive letter

dmcconnell

It would really be nice to be able to monitor mounted disk volumes in NPM the same way as volumes that are assigned a drive letter.  I know that I can monitor them with APM, but it's really cumbersome that you have to do this.  Is this on the list for future enhancements?

Thanks,
      David

• Re: Monitoring volumes that are not assigned a drive letter
          Capt. Obvious

Unfortunatly this cannot be done over SNMP currently and that is the real limitation

smargh

It's not the only limitation of monitoring volumes.

Orion's requirement to monitor [Windows] volumes by only SNMP causes great frustration for me. Even changing a volume label on the server causes it to become 'unknown' to Orion, requiring a deletion of the volume, re-discover and re-typing of the custom properties. There's also the problem of not being able to be notified of new volumes, nor a properly documented or preferred alert definition for if any do become 'unknown'.

The attitude of two Solarwinds support people in the tickets I've previously raised has sounded like they are just accepting of the flaws of the product and don't seem to care that it could be significantly improved or otherwise worked around - i.e. automatic SNMP re-discovery of volumes & updating of labels, so that the graphs and custom properties are not reset after it is removed & re-added.

I'm actually considering writing my own Powershell script to monitor the free space on Windows volumes, and not using this feature of Orion at all.

It would have been nice to have been aware of the limitations of monitoring Windows volumes before I spent a long time diagnosing these problems - it's a very frustrating process to have to hunt for things which might not be working as they should (see also: 'stopped' poller engines). The same goes for knowing about APM & NTA problems before we purchase it - pre-sales doesn't seem to be too keen on providing a list of flaws or limitations of NPM & NTA. Or, maybe perhaps it's just difficult to get the info from your bug tracking system or 1st/2nd line engineers.

Capt. Obvious

@Smargh I have not been able to replicate the behaviour you are describing, can you please provide me with your current case number so i can see if I can get your issues escalated as this is not the normal behaviour

smargh

Refs 168542 and 175714.

Apologies for the thread hijack. If NPM were modified to use WMI for this specific aspect, then it would alleviate or eliminate these problems, perhaps also helping the original poster's problem of monitoring network volumes. It would, of course, involve potentially significant structural changes of the engine/poller, never mind introducing firewall and user/password issues for end-users and also encroaching on the realm of APM.

When I've explained the limitations of monitoring volumes in NPM to my colleagues, they've all frowned and suggested that it's a bit silly and a basic thing which should be done flawlessly by any monitoring app as expensive as NPM & APM.

Questionario

Hi Smargh,

you can actually write alerts that alert you if the status of a volume gets unknown!

NPM is not made for WMI, WMI would be for more "advanced" monitoring where you would need APM for (there you could also use vbscript to monitor free space if you really want, we do that with some mapped folders).

I also made the same experience that even a rename of the volume causes the volume to become unknown, I am guessing there is no way to identify the volume other than its name and current volume id (which gets switched all the time by windows).

NPM is also not made to discover "new" volumes, however if you use the network discovery smart, you can ignore everything you dont want to monitor (quite a bit of manual work the first time, in larger environments probably impossible (feature request to be able to multi-select all new things per node or all nodes?)) but after that you can easily see what has been newly discovered, even new volumes! however that is manual and as far as I know you cannot alert on that. (maybe once advanced sql-alerts have been implemented you can do it with a script)

Capt. Obvious

@smargh I'll take this offline as to not continue this thread jack...pm sent