6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2010 1:30 PM by dmitic

SQL Database Inventory

dmitic

We are running NPM 10 and APM 3.5. We're also sort of using NPM as our inventory database, with some custom properties defined.

I'd like to be able to list all SQL databases on a server that's listed as running SQL in APM. Does anyone know if this can be a custom NPM report, UnDP, APM template (even though it's not really performance we're tracking, just getting a list), or is there any other way to achieve this?

• Re: SQL Database Inventory
          Capt. Obvious

This should be possible. But let me get a little more information from you...

Do you want:

A) a List of servers running SQL

or

B) a list of all databases in SQL Grouped by server.

or

C) Something different than either of the above.

dmitic

B) is exactly what I need :)

although it would be good if it was derived from an automatic A) so I wouldn't manually have to enter the servers. I think there should be a way to grab only servers that have SQL monitors assigned to them in APM, and then do the query against them that gets B).

But even if I manually have to enter and maintain the list of servers, I don't mind, as long as some monitor or report gets me B)

Thanks for your help!

Capt. Obvious

well first we would need APM to pull the list of Databases on the SQL server.  i would recommend using WMI and this is the class you would use:

win32_perfformatteddata_mssqlserver_sqlserverdatabases

Test this first on one of your sql servers using WBEMTEST and try :

select * from win32_perfformatteddata_mssqlserver_sqlserverdatabases

and see what that returns for you

dmitic

That worked, I made a WMI monitor with that query. I assume that APM now has this data in its own database?

How would I pull it from there to display on a custom report let's say? I'd also like to filter out the default databases like master, model, tempdb.

Thanks!

Capt. Obvious

Yes it can be put into a report, instead of fileting the report I would excluse them in the syntax of the WMI query as there is no need to store data on them in your DB if you don't need it

dmitic

I excluded them in the WMI query, that was easy, I get the right results using WBEMTEST.

However, I'm still not sure how to get this information from the NetPerfMon database now, I looked through some tables and views but couldn't find the results from this query (which I defined as an APM WMI monitor and assigned to a node).