This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Alerting for a specific piece of equipment

Hi Thwack Users,

I'm sure this has been asked before so my apologies.

I'd like to configure an alert that triggers only for a specific piece of equipment. For example, I have a number of critical switches that I'd like to receive alerts on should a port go down. As I understand the process now, alerts are global for anything NPM is watching. I don't want to turn on 'down' port alerts for all of our switching equipment, just a select few in our environment.

If this is possible could someone direct on how its accomplished?

Many thanks,

~Steve

• i create an interface custom property and associate it with the interfaces you are worried about. Then write an alert if interfaces in that custom property group goes down, you get an alert.

• Hi Thwack Users,

I'm sure this has been asked before so my apologies.

I'd like to configure an alert that triggers only for a specific piece of equipment. For example, I have a number of critical switches that I'd like to receive alerts on should a port go down. As I understand the process now, alerts are global for anything NPM is watching. I don't want to turn on 'down' port alerts for all of our switching equipment, just a select few in our environment.

If this is possible could someone direct on how its accomplished?

Many thanks,

~Steve

Alerts are not global, the default alerts are global but that is all configurable.  If you go into the Advanced Alert manager on the console of your Orion server you can custom create and modify alerts based on any criteria you choose.  As the previous poster suggested, a great way of grouping devices is with Custom Properties.

SolarWinds has published documentation on how to create Advanced Alerts such as the Technical Reference located here.