This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Can ipMonitor be utilized in lieu of poller within NPM

I'm looking to implement dependenices when polling.  ipMonitor appears to give me some of the flexibility I'm looking for.  However, I'm using NPM today for polling.  Can I use ipMonitor in lieu of NPM?  Or, do they work together?  Or, does NPM superceed ipMonitor?

Tony

• Tony,

Orion NPM is very much a superior product to the ipMonitor.  I have worked with with customers using both ipMonitor and Orion NPM (sometimes even installed on the same machine) to poll their network environment but typically, it's not required and we like to help them consolidate to one platform on the Orion NPM.  My question to you is what types of dependencies are you trying to build into Orion NPM that you are having trouble with.  Maybe we can help provide some direction there. 

Thanks,
    Jason Henson
    Loop1 Systems
    www.Loop1Systems.com

• Thanks for the reply.  NPM is a much better product.  My inquiry is centered around polling dependencies.  I understand ipMonitor has the ability to perform this function today and NPM does not.  I have a custoemr with 8000+ devices.  I have a large transport connection into their network.  When that connection fails, all 8000+ devices alarm.  Since I'm using the email function to create incident tickets, I get 8000+ emails.  I'd like the status of the 8000+ devices to be dependent on the single connection.  If it fails then only that connection alerts and not the 8000+ devices.

Tony

• NPM does do dependencies today with the advanced alerting and we are making it better in the next version