9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2010 11:06 PM by pirro

Email reports

pirro

We have requirements to send scheduled reports to our managers and I have to say I am struggling to get what I'm after.  Questions:

1) I need to email our managers disk volume utilisation statistic on a weekly basis.  I have setup a report schedule and included 6 web pages (one for each volume on a particular server).  However we end up being emailed 6 emails with a volume report in each.  I assumed if I was attaching multiple links to one schedule I would get one email. Can I get this all in one email?

2) Can I get all the volumes on one report without having to obtain multiple graphs for one server?

I used to do this in Argent very easily, but doesn't appear to be the case with Solarwinds. See print screen

• Re: Email reports
          pirro

Can anyone assist with this?

bshopp

#2 - you mean like this?  See Graphing multiple data points on a single graph with the UnDP

#1 - what you can do as well is create a new view with custom html resources.  Then for each resource right click and select view source and copy that source into the custom html dialog by hitting edit on it.

This way you can have all of them on one page and can schedule that page to be emailed to users

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                pirro

Using the Universal Device Poller would be ideal.  I'm wanting all disk volumes to appear on one graph.  Except trying to find out OID information I would need to use is the challenge.  Is there an easy way of knowing the OID for the part I'm after?

The Custom HTML resource seems to work for me.  However the Custom HTML I have created it showing up on any node I select.  That is, I created disk utilsation graphs using Custom HTML for server1, now every server shows the same graphs for server1 rather than it's own server.  Am I doing something wrong?

byrona

Using the Universal Device Poller would be ideal.  I'm wanting all disk volumes to appear on one graph.  Except trying to find out OID information I would need to use is the challenge.  Is there an easy way of knowing the OID for the part I'm after?

The Custom HTML resource seems to work for me.  However the Custom HTML I have created it showing up on any node I select.  That is, I created disk utilsation graphs using Custom HTML for server1, now every server shows the same graphs for server1 rather than it's own server.  Am I doing something wrong?

Brandon is correct, the best way to do this would be to setup a summary page using the Custom HTML resources and using the UnDP (Universal Device Poller) to capture the data so that all your disk volumes for each system are in a single graph.

For getting the proper OID's, I find the best way is to do a MIB Walk on the system using the MIBWalk tool from the Engineers Toolset.  You can then look through and see all of the different data available from that system via SNMP.  I think the OID's you want to look at are the hrStorage OID's.

As far as the Custom HTML stuff goes, it's tricky to learn how to do but is worth the time because it allows you to put together some nice summary dashboards.  Take a look at the thread custom view: group of  interfaces for some good information on how to do it.  I personally keep that thread bookmarked for when I forget.  = )

Hope this helps.

P.S.  I understand this is a lot of work for a report that is simple to do in many other NMS systems.  SolarWinds has some work to do on Orion in the Graphing and Reporting arena but they are aware and I have confidence that they will improve those systems.

pirro

P.S.  I understand this is a lot of work for a report that is simple to do in many other NMS systems.  SolarWinds has some work to do on Orion in the Graphing and Reporting arena but they are aware and I have confidence that they will improve those systems.

Sure is a lot of work for something that you would think would be available out of the box.  I'm working my way through about 50000 OID's on this one server trying to find what I'm after.  Ridiculous!

I think I'm just going to tell the managers that they will receive several emails on Monday morning (one for each volume).  I mean even if you needed to have seperate graphs for each volume, can you not just have it in one email?

byrona

Sure is a lot of work for something that you would think would be available out of the box.  I'm working my way through about 50000 OID's on this one server trying to find what I'm after.  Ridiculous!

Getting the volume usage should be pretty easy, you shouldn't need to dig through all of those OID's.  If I am not mistaken volume usage info should be in the Host Resource MIB.  Once you have the UnDP setup you can assign it to all of your systems and not have to go back digging through OID's.

In general for this volume usage report you are looking to create, how many systems and volumes are we talking?  From that graph on your original post it doesn't look like many so this should be pretty easy?  If it's a lot of systems and volumes this report/summary page could take a while; in this case I might try and see if you can get away from a graph based report and use a text based report and use the Report Writer and just show the Mix, Max, and Average volume usage for your report period.

I totally understand that you would prefer a better system for handling this as many of us would; however, I am trying to help you accomplish what you need as best possible.

pirro

OK I might be getting a bit closer.  I've created the UnDP with the OID I believe is correct and I have the graph displaying with all the volumes.  The bit that doesn't seem right is the figures are incorrect.

Take the C drive for example.  This server has a 30GB C drive with around 12.5GB still available.  But the storage used figures don't seem to match this at all.  Not sure if I'm looking at bytes/kb, etc but either way the figures don't match.  Perhaps I'm using the wrong OID but it's the only one I can see that looks remotely like what I'm after.

See screen shots attached.