This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Using UnDP to Set Node Status

How can I set the status of a Node using a UnDP Custom Poller?

For example, rather than indicating a problem when an Ethernet link fails, I want to indicate a problem when a BGP Neighbor goes down.

I'm currently using UnDP to alert on this but I can't see how to get the map to update or how to update the "Nodes with Problems" resource on the Web Console home page.

Thanks in advance

--

David

• Anyone know if this is possible? If so, any pointers on what keywords I should be looking for in the docs?

• dnszero,

Is this what you are looking for?  Are you familiar with the Orion Universal Device Poller tool?

MIB Name: BGP4-MIB-bgpPeerState

OID: 1.3.6.1.2.1.15.3.1.2

I added this for our BGP devices and it gives me a state of "6" which I'm guessing means "Up" since all is well in the neighborhood.  I'm still tweaking to see if I can get more useful information that "6".

Regards,

William

• That is the OID I am currently using. What I'd like is the ability to take action based on that value. Specifically, to be able to change a Node Status in general or to change the color of a link/node on a map.

To answer your question:

If you edit the Advanced Options in the UnDP dialog, you can change the Format to "Enumeration". This will provide you with a mapping of meaningful names instead of status numbers.

HTH

--

David

• Yes, I found the Enumeration setting after I went back in to "tweak" it.

My thought, which I haven't chased down yet, is to setup an alert for when the state changes from "Established", and then set an action to that will email me, as wel as change the icon to red or blue, or a lightning bolt...

That's my idea, but I'm not sure how possible that is.  I'm still getting to know the more advanced stuff, but I've loving it.  It sounds like you are familiar with this already, so I'll step back and let someone else provide you the more hard core details. 

William

• DNS Zero,

I just stumbled upon this, which might help you out.

As for the icon colors, everything I'm reading indicates that you are not allowed to change the icon colors as an action.  Not sure if this is a feature that has geen requested or not.

Hope this helps.

William

• Thanks for the help so far. I agree, it doesn't look like it's possible.

I'll post back if I come up with anything else too.

• You cannot currently use UnDP polled values to change the status of elements in Orion, this is an open enhancement request