4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2010 2:54 PM by SteveSW

Wrecking my brain in the toolset

Jkeeton81

Guys,

We have the Engineers toolset and CatTools here.  In workspace studio I have entered every switch into the devices manually, about 114 total.  What is the best tool for me to be able to find all switches, and export them to tab files,  so I can import them in other solarwinds products such as cattools??  I thought the network sonar would do it,  but from what im seeing it doesnt export correctly, and usually just gives me a list of types of devices.  Please help me more efficiently map my network and export devices without having to manually type them in.  Thanks in advance.

• Re: Wrecking my brain in the toolset
          SteveSW

In Workspace Studio you can select "Devices" from the main menu system and then select "Export Devices". That will allow you to export to CSV or delimited text file. You can set your filters to only export those devices you want to export.

Jkeeton81

Thats actually what I have been doing, but am having two issues.

When I export the devices by group, they are not exporting correctly when I look at the file.  All it shows is the folders of the groups. 

When I export them as just the devices, and try to import them into kiwi cattools I get Error:457 This key is already associated with an element of this collection

SteveSW

Can you provide more detailed steps for how you are exporting by group as I have not been able to reproduce the results you are seeing. Exporting with the view filter set to Group by Group name is providing a correct file for me.

As far as importing into Kiwi Cattools I will check with the Kiwi team and post back here what I find out but you might get quicker results by posting a question about importing in the Kiwi Family forum.

SteveSW

I ran this past the Kiwi CatTools team and they indicated that the Device name was used as the key during import. If your devices in Toolset are static then you might have empty device names and CatTools is picking them up as duplicates.

Would you mind private mailing me the file you are trying to import and I'll see if the Kiwi team has any recommendations for formatting it for CatTools. I recommend cutting the file down to 10 or 20 lines. Then make sure it still has the error. Then send the reduced file. If you have privacy concerns you can mangle the names and IPs first. We justneed to see the structure of the file and any empty string fields.