This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

To reninstall NPM 8.5.1 or not?

I'm in need of some serious help with Orion NPM 8.5.1 and about ready to pull my hair out...

First off the server that NPM is installed on is experiencing slow down problems which I believe is on account that the server only has approximately 4GB of freespace left and the drive is extremely fragmented. I've tried to clean up the drive the best I can but nothing has been noticed performance-wise yet. I have also tried to defrag the drive but have so far been unsuccessful since it won't go past 3% complete. The server is sooooo slow that it'll get stuck thinking instead of doing what I want.

Second, I am also experiencing problems with the different services that are running, NPM, IIS, SQL Server 05, etc. This was noticed after I tried to backup the SQL database, which never completed. I stopped the backup and tried to restart all the services and all but the NPM restarted so I tried the Orion configuration wizard which went thru and uninstalled and reinstalled the services. Again, the NPM did not install and it is now removed from my services list. I found the NPM msi file and tried to reinstall but it said that I had to run the setup program again, which I don't have in my possession since my boss has them.

Third, if I were to get the install CDs and completely reinstall Orion NPM what would I have to do so that I don't lose any of the maps, reports, database, pollers, etc that I have spent endless hours working on?

The server is partitioned with 2 drives (C & D) with the Solarwinds program files being installed on C, and the SQL database located on the D drive. Is there a way to copy individual folders off the C drive and then restore them after I have everything reinstalled? Is it possible to reinstall everything to the D drive or do the program files need to be on C for Solarwinds? Would there be any performance benefits to removing and then reinstalling everything?

I have also brought up the fact that we need to upgrade to at least version 9 but this was not accepted to well.

There is over 2,000 objects in our network.

One more thing, does anyone know how to setup the network discovery so that it won't pickup point to point links but will only pickup vlan interfaces? Before the NPM took a dump I ran a network discovery for the subnet that all our devices were on and ended up getting over 60,000 addresses back which is a lot to go through.

Thanks,

• Hi Dave--

Are you on active maintenance b/c if so, it would be a really good idea for you to upgrade to NPM 10.0. You may lose some time during the upgrade, but it would be helpful for you to upgrade. Otherwise, you can open a support ticket but I'm not sure that support is supporting 8.5, but you can give it a try.

M

• That is what I'm trying to figure out from my manager and even up the chain to the customer which actually purchased the product for us back in 2007. Some sort of SLA would be nice but for now we're pretty much on our own to figure things out and make it work. I would like to upgrade to v10 but getting the $$$ to do so is easier said than done.

I was going to try giving customer support a call just due to the fact that I'm not getting any quick answers from where I work.

Thanks for the reply.

• Yes Dave, go ahead and call support. Also, if you like, I can have a Sales Engineer call you to discuss your situation and what they can do to help.

M

• I will do that come Monday since my plate is rather full right now thru the weekend. Do you know if there is any significant price reduction in an upgrade versus a full install? Today I also received the install CDs for 7.1 up to 8.x so if I do have to reinstall I'll have them. On a side note, the NPM has seemed to have repaired itself and is working. All it took was a good night sleep and presto chango it's fixed. Not really sure how it happened but I'm glad. I can now get back to my task at hand which is monitoring all our devices for 'temperature" issues.

Thanks for your help....

• Hi Dave--

I don't know for sure. Best thing is to contact support or your Sales rep. If you want, I can get your info over to sales and they can contract you.

Let me know and thanks,

M