7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2010 10:40 AM by DThorne

Information Page

DThorne

Hi,

I not sure if this is possible but i want to create a information page which doesn't poll a device.

This page would show up under each location as information and just hold information about the location i.e. address, telephone number, etc etc

This is how we structure are devices (locations are blanked out).  We use custom locations & vendor to organize everything.

Thanks

• Re: Information Page
          robertcbrowning

Hi,

We use a very high level map of each location, documented with location info, such as how to get there, full address and post code, " park over the other side of the road in the shop carpark where we have an arrangement & tell them we're visiting Suzie" etc etc.

Then the detail of each site is summarised into logical groups, each with their own sub map for WAN Edge, Core, Server distribution, Servers, user distribution, etc

It makes the high level drawing informative, but simple and as an added bonus the screens paint faster too!

Something like an information page would be really useful.

We have a few fields in custom properties populated with all the site information.  This field is then displayed in each of the device details pages. 

It is handy because we also include the site information fields in our email alerts, so the engineers have all the details of the site when they get the ticket.

Hope this helps

DThorne

Hi, how have you got the fields to populated all deivces in a custom location??

Thanks

robertcbrowning

Hi,

Custom Properties can be used, per device or per interface, and you could display all of these custom properties in each device or interface screen & we do this too. There's a Custom Property Editor on your polling engine to cut'n'paste loads of data in quickly.

But mostly, folk want an overview before the detail and I've found the maps to be the best place to do this. You'll need to do some prep work in Visio & then save it as a JPG ready to import int Network Atlas, but you can scale the drawings as you please & it forces current documentation which is an added bonus in a large company!

tonyreel

We Created two columns in "custom properties for nodes" - Site and Site_Information.   When we add a new device to Orion I copy the details from another device or fill in new details in each of the cells.

Then I customised the Node details page and added the "Custom Properities for Nodes" section (its under the "Node Detail Reports - Resources that apply to a single network node" section).  Then you edit the new section and untick all the custom properties you dont want to see on the page and give the section a nice name. (note: you cannot change the name of the custom property columns so when you create them use nice full names i.e Site_Contact ) 

Then when you are creating your email alerts just include the custom properties fields.

DThorne

Thanks for the reply, so you just use maps to put the extra information in right??

Thanks