2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2010 9:03 AM by n3tb0ss

BGP AS and NetFlow

chris.lapoint

As noted on our what we're working on post, we're investigating the inclusion of BGP AS information and would love any feedback on the following:

1. What specific use-cases / problems are you interested in solving with this feature?    Are you an end-customer or a provider?

2. What specific BGP AS data would you need displayed in NTA to solve your use-cases?  

3. What BGP AS reports or charts would you expect to see in NTA?

BTW, those who respond first will get first dibs on seeing prototypes and betas ;-)

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Re: BGP AS and NetFlow
          sja

Hi Chris

As network engineer in small ISP/Utility  network  

I will buy the netflow to our solarwinds if the product would have some of the capabilities of the Arbor peakflow .

http://www.arbornetworks.com/en/peakflow-x.html

I don’t need the  density or the scale of the peakflow just more support to BGP and MPLS.

I think that kind capabilities will sure sell the netflow much  better to the Tier 2/3 ISPs and carrier ethernet .

• Re: BGP AS and NetFlow

Hey Chris,

I posted another topic recently in the NTA "What you are working on" thread.  We are medium sized financial and have multi-homed and geographically dispersed data centers, running Orion SLX, NTA, IPSLA, etc.  BGP and Traffic Engineering (TE) is a challenge in the current netflow product as it does not support aggregration cache.  Being able to aggregrate by AS or prefix, source - destination etc would be ideal for adjust route-maps and local preferences to achieve the most efficient load sharing.  Right now its a "Top Talkers" game and looking at interface loads.  Not an exact science as one will never achieve equal loads but 60/40 across diverse carriers is obtainable and netflow is the tool analyze the traffic flow