This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Topology question ...

Hi All

I have now played arround with the new topology function, and is the following true:

• It is only nodes that are found by Network sonar, that will be scaned for topology information ??
  • Nodes that have been in NPM for many years and not discovered by network sonar, has to be deleted and the found by network sonar, for then to be scaned for the topology information ??

I hope not that it is true ... I have 450+ switches in NPM .... not found by network sonar.

best regs

Kenneth

Denmark

• they only need to be accessible via snmp basically...

you can then enter each of those IPs to the network discovery...

to make it simple, there is a video tutorial where if you follow it step by step it will work!

www.youtube.com/watch

or

www.solarwinds.com/.../tutorials.aspx (the second video, its the same one linked above)

• You don't need to delete and re-add them via sonar.  Just take the existing list of items you are managing and create a new sonar profile and choose bulk upload and copy and paste that list into there and run the discovery.  Then just choose one of the devices to re-import and it will update the topology for those.

• Hi

I have tried what you are doing in the youtube video, but im getting this status, when i try to import the nodes:

Node XXXXXXXX not processed.

All uplinks ports are in ORION - so do i have to mark, then again before i do the import ??

Best regs

Kenneth, Denmark

• That should be fine.  It should say also not processed cause item already exists in the database, is that correct?  The topology is still getting populated and updated.

• Hi

Its correct that the mentioned node is already in the NPM database - but:

• If a node is already in the database, network sonar will say something like this under the import process: "Node allready in database" - and not "not processed"
    • The node is not showing any topology data - on the node details view, as the other switches

Best regs

Kenneth, Denmark

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to bshopp

You don't need to delete and re-add them via sonar.  Just take the existing list of items you are managing and create a new sonar profile and choose bulk upload and copy and paste that list into there and run the discovery.  Then just choose one of the devices to re-import and it will update the topology for those.

Brandon,

I  have followed the Sonar steps up to the point of import.  I've created and pasted the list of all our Cisco devices currently monitored by NPM into a Network Sonar discovery job and run the initial discovery.  I've saved the discovery results at this point and am ready to re-import almost 1000 nodes.  I would like to get clarification on "Then just choose one of the devices to re-import and it will update the topology for those.".   Okay, now I choose a particular node from the discovered list to re-import.  Will only the topology data for the ONE device be imported or will topology data for ALL devices/interfaces be imported?

Also, do we have to import all Interface Types?  For example, on switches/MLSs, with NPM we only monitor the ethernet uplink and server ports, not the access ports.  In our network, there will be thousands (35000+) of ethernet interfaces found during the sonar discovery.  The discovery process does not provide the granularity to be able to drill into each device and select the specific ethernet interfaces to import (it would be great to have the ability to do this).  Do we have to import all ethernet interfaces to gain the topology data then turn around and manually delete all the undesired interfaces? 

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

bump???

• hi rgward,

you only need to add a single interface of any device for all of the collected data to be added if you ran the discovery manually, you can delete that single interface afterwards too.

if it ran by schedule (i.e. you have it running every sunday night) it will populate the collected data automagically :)

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to Questionario

Perfect!  That's a relief.  Thanks Questionario.