6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2010 10:54 AM by Questionario

Generate alert on event

cringer

Hi

I would like to generate an alert on an event and have the alert emailed to me.

I noticed that one of my nodes sparked an alert on it's host details page when a "volume dissapeared". I would like to write an alert that will send an email based on that event.

I have looked in the alert manager but cannot find a way to trigger based on the event - can anybody advise if this is possible and how to do it?

Thanks

Paul

• Re: Generate alert on event
          smargh

Event triggers would be nice, but they don't seem to be possible at the moment unless you set up a trigger on the SQL database itself, which would also need to be the thing which actually sends the alert. It's easy with T-SQL though.

See this image for the alert I've set up for this exact problem - it does work fine:

I use this alert text; the variable could do with being a bit different though:

Volume: ${FullName}

Orion Status: ${Status}

Monitoring of disk space for this volume has probably stopped.

This is normally a problem with Solarwinds as opposed to an issue with the server or volume itself.

In some cases this alert can be triggered by renaming or removing a volume.

If this volume is on a SAN, it may need to be removed & re-added to Solarwinds due to the SNMP IDs changing.

This alert will repeat every 60 minutes while there is a problem with the volume. If the volume is removed and re-added to Solarwinds, then a "recovery" email will likely NOT be sent, because the original volume will no longer exist.