This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Hey - free stuff! I need some sample email format you use to open tickets

For those of you taking advantage of the ability of opening a trouble ticket from an advanced alert email, I am looking for a few good generic examples of the email you are sending from NPM to the trouble ticketing system. 

Please include:

• Type of ticket system you use
  • Do you use automatic reset tickets too
  • Any other helpful points

I'll send some great SolarWinds Swag to the first 5 useful replies!

Thanks - Andy

• We have been using this for a while for our infrastructure devices.  We use Numara Footprints and take advantage of having an email address open a ticket for you.

I input info that you see below and it fills out the ticket for me.  If i put my address as the "Reply Address" it opens the ticket in my name so i can track its progress.

I'm still working on getting it to close the ticket if the node comes back up, but just haven't had time lately.  Hope this helps someone.

${NodeName} status is ${Status}

SLA Type=Incident
    Impact=4 - Single User
    Product Type=Network Infrastructure
    Urgency=Medium
    Product Sub-Type=WAN

Kevin

• Hi Kevin,

Good stuff. Is the

SLA Type=Incident
    Impact=4 - Single User
    Product Type=Network Infrastructure
    Urgency=Medium
    Product Sub-Type=WAN

portion just static text within the email?

Andy

• We use GWI iSupport.  The format for us is:

Subject:
    OrionAlert: ${ObjectType} - ${NodeName} - ${Status}

Body:
    Date / Time: ${AlertTriggerTime}
    Node IP: ${IP_Address}
    Node DNS: ${DNS}
    Node Details: ${Node.NodesDetailsURL}

We only recently start experimenting with this and we don't have closing tickets yet either.

John

• Well, I can change it depending on what type of node is referenced (i.e if it was a server, the product type would be different), how urgent the matter is, etc.  I'm hoping that it won't be too difficult to assign to specific users or groups, and to have another trap or alert actually close the ticket if the node comes back up.  We're bringing our NOC (indoor and outdoor DAS) internal, so i've got some work to do :-)

K

• Hi Andy -

We are using Service-Now as our ticketing system.  I have currently gotten automatic ticket creation working, but have stayed away from automatic reset tickets.  I'd prefer my NOC to investigate every event that opened a ticket, even if the service restores itself before they have a chance. 

It's been pretty challenging with the limited mechanisms for alert suppression in Solarwinds today, so I don't have auto-ticket creation set up for all of the events that I would like to.  I have it set to generate a single ticket if all of the devices at a WAN site go down.  I also have a 2nd alert set on data center devices that will alert if any single device goes down.

The email that goes to Service-Now looks like this:

caller: ${Operations_Manager_Email}
    Impact: 2
    Urgency: 2
    Priority: 3
    ContactType: monitoring service
    OpenedBy: Solarwinds
    Category: network
    SubCategory: wan
    Type: access failure
    AssignmentGroup: network
    ShortDescription: ${NodeName} has gone down at ${AlertTriggerTime}

I've toyed with the idea of making Impact, Urgency and Priority custom properties, but haven't done that at this time.  I'm really hoping that a (very near) future release of Orion makes alert suppression more intuitive and "baked-in" to the system, and I feel like it will be easier to have better ticketing system integration.

Thanks, Chris.

• I thought about having Orion send an email to open tickets once for a min, but dont like not having control over having EVERY alert become a ticket without any troubleshooting or verifications.

Maybe a good idea would be a button that is make ticket from alert???

• Here's a couple we use with Numara Footprints...

For network outages(creates ticket in request queue for Tier1 to do basic due dilligence on the issue):

At ${DateTime} ${NodeName} at ${LocationID} went into ${Status} status.

Please call the office at ${TelephoneNumber} and verify there is an outage and that the site still has power and add your notes to the ticket.

Priority = Critical
    Problem or Incident = Outage
    I need assistance with = AssociaNET
    Regarding = Network Down

For disk space alerting:

At ${DateTime} the available space on ${FullName} on ${NodeName} dropped below the 5% threshold.

% Used: ${VolumePercentUsed}

Total Disk Space:  ${VolumeSize}
    Used Disk Space:  ${VolumeSpaceUsed}
    Free Disk Space:   ${VolumeSpaceAvailable}

Status = Open
    Priority = Medium
    Problem or Incident = Incident

I need assistance with = A Server

Regarding = Warning Light
    Assignees = "Field Operations"

• Thanks all for the great feedback! I have all the example we need at this point.

• Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info.

We also use ServiceNow and was wonderng if you can share your experiences of Solarwinds and ServiceNow.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Have you been able to setup auto-ticket generation for all events  and automatic reset tickets? If yes how?

2.  Is the email sample static for allyour WAN

Thanks