16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2010 4:19 PM by bshopp

Install error?

sotherls

I attempted installation and selected Advanced so I could point it to a specific database.

I get this error"Activation wizard can not continue because current user does not have enough privileges to activate a license."

Yet this account is a member of Domain Admin. I ckicked on ok and the wizard continued.

Normal?

Windows Server 2003 SP2 32bit
      SQL 2005 Standard

• Re: Install error?
          sotherls

Uninstalled and reran install with Express setup and will try again.

sotherls

sotherls

sotherls

Bummer... don't know how the next post replicated 3 times. Sorry.

sotherls

Ok, unistalled all Solarwinds install and attempted to do the express install. Now I am getting the following error.

Run-time error '-2146233068 (80131500)': Automation error

I am stopping for now.

Halef

Doesn't seem normal to me.. Is this an upgrade installation, or a clean (no Orion) machine? Have you encountered any more problems after the installation, or it was just this message and all is good?

Thanks,

David Pluhacek

sotherls

Still having issues installing Beta 10.1.

My initial install, awhile back failed when I tried to point to a standalone SLQ database so I reinstalled Beta 10.1 to do the Express Install. All looked okay there except for the AD issue.

I wanted to see how the install worked with my existing database so I reloaded the server, installed SQL 2005 Standard and restored my Orion 9.5 database to it. I then installed Beta 10.1 but keep getting errors like: CustomPropertyEditor – Run-time error ‘-2146233036 (80131534)’: Automation error.

It comes up during the Configuration Wizard in these parts:

Updating NPM custom properties

I am also seeing the following error when running the configuration wizard (after the above messages)

Website configuration failed:

Exception while configuring plugin Orion Core Services component Orion Network Performance Monitor Website. Could not load type 'SolarWinds.Common.Utility.RegistryHelperEx' from assembly 'SolarWinds.Common, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

josh.clark

Some questions:

1. Did you wipe the system first or is this the same system that was failing before?
                          2. Any chance we can get a diagnostics zip from this system?
                            1. If not, can you look in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SolarWinds\Logs\Orion\Core.BusinessLayer.log and C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SolarWinds\Logs\Orion\OrionWeb.log for errors.
                            2. Can you post the full exception you got from the Config Wizard log file?

sotherls

Yes, the admin wipe and reloaded Windows prior to the reinstall.

This might be part of the problem, maybe???? I looked in the locations you listed but I don't have anything under the Application Data other than Microsoft. I ran the Diagnostic utility and looked there for the logs and while it grabbed a bunch of the log files I don't see the Core.BusinessLayer.log.

I do have a "ConfigurationWizard.log" and a "OrionWeb.log" I can send via some other method - not post to Thwack.

josh.clark

That is odd that the all users key would not be there.  That's the location of the Config Wizard log to.  This is Windows Server 2003, correct?  The location is c:\programdata\SolarWinds on Windows 2008.

If you could upload the diagnostics zip to leapfile, that would help.  Here's a post with instructions on how to do that: Sending in diagnostics?  Follow these steps...

sotherls

Josh, I agree this is ODD. I 'think' I might have messed this up when I tried to copy over my old Orion files over from my 9.5 server to see how it would work in an upgrade. I wanted to make sure that it picked up my maps and other pertinent files. I think that is what hosed it.

I asked the admin (really at this point I begged him) to do one last wipe and load of the server and I will only do the database. I was just trying to see if I could avoid a lot of the replication of work by moving the files over as well.

He said he would reload it Tuesday morning and I can start again.

I will let you know.