This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

reporting and sql

FormerMember
FormerMember

Hey all

I've got 2 questions for u.

let me explain the situation.

We have got several of our customers that can login to the solarwinds website and see a map of their network with their own nodes on it. Each customer has it's own login to the website. We also use this login name in a custom field on the node that we name CustomerName.

We now want to create a report so that the customer can log in to the website and see the events of the last x-days. for this I created an sql query:

use solarwinds

DECLARE @Customerid varchar(30);
SET @Customerid = 'customername';

SELECT
Nodes.NodeID AS NodeID,
Events.EventTime AS Event_Time,
Nodes.VendorIcon AS Vendor_Icon,
Nodes.Caption AS NodeName,
Events.Message AS Message

FROM
Nodes INNER JOIN (Events INNER JOIN EventTypes Events_EventTypes ON (Events.EventType = Events_EventTypes.EventType)) ON (Nodes.NodeID = Events.NetObjectID)
where CustomerName = @Customerid
ORDER BY 2 DESC

1) is it possible to use the login name from the website and put it in the @customerid value? This way I would need only 1 report and don't need to create a report for all the existing and new customers.

2) when i run this query in sql sever management studio, it's like speedy gonzales, if I run it as an sql report in the solarwinds reporting tool, it doens't give me any results, it hangs on Querying database.

Any idea's

I'm on holiday for 2 weeks so I'm sorry if I don't reply quickly, but all answers are welcome.

with kind regards

sasuke

• as far as point 2, ensure the user that the Orion report is running has rights to run the SQL command (whatever - check permissions).
    if you run it within report writer, I assume it hangs there too?  any error messages?

I've never tried to create variables on the report side, maybe try making this a stored procedure and calling it from the report writer (should be able to send variable from report writer statement for customername, just have to have a report per customer still).

anyways, some thoughts/things to try.

for point 1, I would think there is a way, just how to access it...this would have to be SW or someone that plays with .net a lot.

I could also use this type of thing as I have a few customers that see their info....

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to njoylif

Hey njoylif

thanks for the reply.
    I guess you mean I have to check if the sql user I created for solarwinds has acces to build the report I created?
    I've just made this user an admin on the sql server. when I then connect as this user to the sql server and I run the query it works like a charm. If I try it again in the report writer and it is the same problem. Is there perhaps a solarwinds service that I should check and run as a user?

As I was typing this message I just read about the stored procedure again. If I do it this way it seems to work fine so problem solved :)

now for the first part.. any .net players arround?

greetz

sasuke