This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

how to upgrade NPM and move to new server?

I've been tasked with upgrading NPM from 9.1 SP5 to 10 and moving it to a new server, which will have the same name and IP address as the original server (in order to continue using existing firewall rules).

Is there a 'best practices' way to do this?  Is all the information for NPM found in the SQL database?

thanks,

Tom

• Tom,

You would probably be best to upgrade in place and then migrate, being sure to maintain your license using License Manager.

For more information about upgrading, see the Upgrade Instructions in your Customer Portal.

To download the Upgrade Instructions:

1. Log in to the SolarWinds Customer Portal using your SolarWinds Customer ID and password.
    2. Click License Management in the Customer portal section on the right.
    3. The Upgrade Instructions (pdf) and other helpful documents are linked from below your Orion Network Performance Monitor license listing.

For more information about maintaining your Orion NPM license with License Manager, see "Maintaining Licenses with License Manager" in the SolarWinds Orion NPM Administrator Guide (pdf).

For more information about migrating your Orion server, see the Orion NPM Migration (pdf) technical reference.

• Thanks for your response.  Does the SQL database contain all the pertinent information on how NPM is setup? Would these be the general steps?

1. upgrade existing server to version 10
    2. park license on existing server
    3. backup SQL database on existing server
    4. install version 10 on new server
    5. restore SQL database to new server

Or is it more complicated than this?

Thanks,

Tom

• Tom,

You've pretty much got it, but, if you have them, you may need to copy over your reports from your old server to your new one. This is mentioned in the Orion NPM Migration technical reference.

• Is your SQL database on the same server as NPM? If so, your steps seem pretty accurate to me.

If the SQL database is on a separate server, then you really dont need to worry about the database, just point NPM to the database server during the install portion.

In either case, remember to backup any custom reports that you have created, as they are not stored in the DB. Also, if you have any custom IIS settings,you will need to reconfigure those o the new server as well.

Most everything else is stored in the DB.

Hopefully SW staff will chime back in if I have missed something.

• Hi!

I confess, I am very scared and weary.

I am moving my main poller (NPM, SAM, and UDT) to Virtual server, what will I need to do other than install NPM, SAM, and UDT to the VM?

My database is on another piece of hardware.

Besides the main poller, I have (2) additional pollers.

I will need to move my reports to the new server. Will I need to move my SAM templates as well? My Unmanage profiles?

I have the NPM Migration document also!  emoticons_happy.png

Thanks so much!
    Cheryl