This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Human Readable Traps

Currently the Traps in Orion are very difficult to work with as compared to our previous NMS.  I would like to see Orion do a MIB lookup for traps and grab the trap description along with any other details contained in the MIB that might help a person looking at the trap better understand what they are looking at.

To help better explain what I am looking for I have attached a screenshot of the same trap in Orion as compared to OpenNMS (our previous NMS)...

Orion

OpenNMS

• Hey Byron--

I'll mark this for the PM.

M

• Hey Byron--

I'll mark this for the PM.

M

Thanks Marie, you rock!

• Can I add a big PLEASE to this request.

We have started using the traps a lot more lately and the latest improvements have been welcome.  However the detail provided is one of the biggest drawbacks with our engineers moaning quite a lot that other tools give more information / useful information.

• Currently the Traps in Orion are very difficult to work with as compared to our previous NMS.  I would like to see Orion do a MIB lookup for traps and grab the trap description along with any other details contained in the MIB that might help a person looking at the trap better understand what they are looking at.

To help better explain what I am looking for I have attached a screenshot of the same trap in Orion as compared to OpenNMS (our previous NMS)...

Can you elaborate a bit more on this?   It looks like the Trap Details column in Orion is very similar to what's noted in the description of your other NMS.   In 10.0, we added the ability to reference specific variable binding values so you could format the message any way you like in the notifications.

• Chirs

Apologies for the delayed followup, was out on paternity leave.

Basically the big things that Orion is missing for traps is the Trap Description which is contained in the MIB as well as the key(s) for any of the varbinds that may require them (such as the key for the value clogHistSeverity above).  They key is important because it tells you what the value actually means, without it the value is mostly useless.

I know that HP/Compaq uses a single Trap for drive status change and it uses a numeric value to tell you what the status was changed to, without the key to tell you what the numeric value means the trap is mostly useless.  These keys are also stored in the MIB.

Basically, I would like to see Orion display a more complete explanation on the trap using the data on the trap that is already stored in the MIB.

I hope this helps!  = )

• No worries, congratulations!!  Hope all is well and you're not too tired ;-)

That explanation helps quite a bit.  This is similar to what I've heard from other customers as well.  I'll make sure we've got a tracking item for this.   If there are others interested in this specific enhancement, please chime in as well.   

• Please Help Regarding OpenNMS

Dear Fellows,

Please do help us in our study. It is very important for us to have feedback from you (who is using OpenNMS). I bet I would not take you more than 5 minutes, all questions are multiple choice and on a single page. We will be highly thankful to all the participants.

Please click on following link to answer this survey.

http://www.kwiksurveys.com/online-survey.php?surveyID=KBINNF_9b336176

Regards

• To add a bit more to this (and a bit out of frustration with trying to utilize traps in any meaningful way with Orion) I have a great example of what isn't working.

Below is a trap that I received from Orion.  After investigation I found that this trap indicates a post error though by looking at the trap I am not sure how anybody would be able to tell that (IP's have been removed to protect the guilty).

Entered on 08/31/2010 at 14:06:21 PDT (GMT-0700) by NMS:
    08/31/2010 14:02 : COMPAQ-ID-REC-MIB:compaq.0.6027 SNMP Trap
    Received Time:8/31/2010 2:02:47 PM
    Source:0.0.0.0(0.0.0.0)
    Community:public
    Variable Bindings
    sysUpTime:= 34.86 seconds (3486)
    snmpTrapOID:= COMPAQ-ID-REC-MIB:compaq.0.6027 (1.3.6.1.4.1.232.0.6027)
    sysName:= SYSTEM
    cpqHoTrapFlags:= 0
    experimental.1057.1:= 0.0.0.0
    snmpTrapEnterprise:= COMPAQ-ID-REC-MIB:compaq (1.3.6.1.4.1.232)
  • If there are others interested in this specific enhancement, please chime in as well.

It's not a question of who is interested, but who isn't - I would love to be able to get SNMP traps from my Windows HP servers which would indicate a RAID array status change, but as another poster said earlier: the drive status codes are meaningless without the MIB lookup. Just dumping the text of the traps into an alert is a bit silly.

I would like to be able to end up with an alert from an SNMP trap stating that " ( - Array status is now "REBUILDING"" with certain custom poperties of that node in the message body, then in the subsequent trap an alert would be sent to state that it's then "OK", as opposed to just indicating that an array has changed status twice - for all I know it could have done a "REBUILDING" and then "DEGRADED" instead of "OK", but I'd never know unless I manually checked the server event logs. Yes, I do realise that HP servers write to Windows event logs, so it could be worked around with an APM monitor, but the principle behind it is something which could be applied to any device. The alert would also be instant, which is something Solarwinds could trumpet in their marketing spiel.

Going on a slight tangent, the syslog & trap alerting could do with being enhanced - having Windows event logs forwarding to Orion via Snare or the Solarwinds Event Log Forwarer is very cumbersome. What would be awesome is enhancing your GUI tool to forward selective logs rather than dumping everything to Orion - there are instances where event logs are generated so regularly by misbehaving applications that the forwarding of them to Orion would easily saturate their remote network connection.

• Hey, this feature would be awesome!

It is because Orion does not do this that I had to create about 300-400component monitors on APM which all poll SNMP values to alert on devices in a meaningful way as noone knew what those cryptic traps ment...

I created a feature request here:

although even if you implement better traps which we would be very happy about and use as well, this feature request would still be valid from my side as the visibility of the health of those devices are required as well!